Benzoin oil is extracted from the Benzoin tree. It is aromatic, resinous, and golden in color and thick oil. It has the scientific name Styrax Benzoin. The main components of Benzoin oil are Benzoic acid, Coniferyl Benzoate, Vanillin, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzaldehyde and Cinnamic Acid. It has got various healing values. It has sweet and pleasant fragrance. The crude balsamic resin exudate is obtained by cutting the bark of the tree which is called tapping.
Health Benefits of Benzoin essential oil
The health benefits which are provided by Benzoin essential oil are:
1. Antidepressant and Cordial
Benzoin oil enhances the mood and spirit. The heart beat is stimulated and also enhances the circulation. It creates the mood.
2. Tightens your gums
Mix benzoin essential oil with the water and use it as mouthwash helps to enhance the gums and prevents the loose gums.
3. Relaxant and Sedative
It possesses the antidepressant property which helps to relieve tension, anxiety, stress and nervousness. It uplifts the mood and eliminates anxiety as well as stress.
4. Mitigates acidity
Benezoin essential oil prevents the acid formation in intestine as well as stomach and prevents the health hazards due to the acidity.
It prevents from the infections of wounds.
6. Antiseptic and Disinfectant
It has disinfectant and antiseptic properties. It also possesses Benzoic acid, Benzaldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate which provides the bactericidal, antiviral and fungicidal elements. The external application on the wounds helps to prevent from developing sepsis.
7. Carminative and Anti-flatulent
Benzoin oil possesses anti-flatulent and carminative properties which assists to eliminate the gases from stomach, intestines and alleviates the inflation of the intestines. It enhances the digestion and promotes appetite.
Benzoin essential oil is rich in fragrance which helps to expel odor. The body odor is expelled if it is mixed with massage oils or bathing water. It is aromatic in nature.
9. Regulates diabetes
Benzoin essential oil controls the blood glucose levels and also vitalizes the hormone insulin secretion from the endocrine glands. It also lowers the high blood glucose levels.
10. Keep skin problems at bay
Benzoin essential oil nourishes the skin and makes it charming and younger. It cures the skin ailments such as wounds and scars. It possesses the healing properties such as benzoic acid, benzyl benzoate and benzaldehyde. It has disinfectant, antibacterial, vulnerary, germicidal, antiviral and antifungal properties which assist in curing cuts, acne, eczema, skin irritation, dermatitis, wounds, sores, chapped skin, scars and psoriasis.
11. Relieves congestion and other respiratory problems
The blockage in the breathing mechanism is caused by the environmental factors, toxic substances, improper food habits and stagnation of water deposits leads to mucus build up and deposit of phlegm that leads to respiratory problems. The excess kapha dosha is lowered by the Benzoin resin essential oil as it possesses expectorant properties. Add 1 drop of Niaouli oil, 1 drop Eucaluptus oil and 1 drop of Benzoin oil in the steam inhalation which relieves the collected phlegm and mucus, congestion and clears the passages of breathing.
Massage the throat, chest and back with the mixture of 2 drops of Benzoin oil, vaporixing ointment and2 drops of Frankincense oil or the steam inhalation can relieve cold, bronchitis, blocked nose, respiratory allergies, cough, congestion, laryngitis and asthma.
The diuretic properties of Benzoin essential oil promote urination frequency and quantity with the eradication of toxic substances. The urination reduces the blood pressure, enhances digestion and reduces weight.
13. Drives away depressive feelings
The Benzoin essential oil possesses a sedative, relaxant and antidepressant property which helps to calm the mind. Add 1 drop of Ylang Ylang oil, Benzoin resin oil and 1 drop of Orange oil to the diffuser which helps to vitalize the nervous system, calms mind, control anger, improves blood circulation, control the depressive feelings, clears the mind and treats anxiety.
The anti-inflammatory properties of Benzoin essential oil relieves inflammation associated to measles, eruptions, pox and rashes. It also relieves the inflammation caused due to the excessive ingestion of spicy food in the digestive system.
15. Alleviates rheumatic conditions
Rheumatism causes inflammation, redness, improper blood circulation, soreness, pain and improper function of the body. Kapha dosha imbalance results to the excess water and fluids. It causes the diseases such as respiratory illness, obesity etc. The anti-arthritic, anti-rheumatic, direutic and anti-inflammatory properties enhances the blood circulation, reduce inflammation, pain, swelling, soreness and eliminates the toxic through the urination. It maintains the blood pressure, treats obesity and assists the circulatory system and promotes urination. Benzoin essential oil treats the rheumatism and arthritis effectively.
It heals the crack skin, sores, vitalizes the enzymes and hormones secretion from the pancreas, reduces the level of blood sugar and organizes the metabolic functions.
Suggested uses of Benzoin Essential oil
- The painful parts caused due to arthritis and rheumatism should be massaged with the mixture of 1 drop of Ginger oil, 3 drops of benzoin essential oil, 1 drop of black Pepper oil, 1 drop of Lavender oil, 4 ml of coconut oil and 1 drop of Juniper berry oil. It should be followed by the mixture of 2 drops of Benzoin essential oil and 2 drops of Marjoram oil added to the warm bathing water to obtain the best results.
- Add the mixture of 1 drop of Eucalyptus oil, 1 drop of Benzoin essential oil and 1 drop of Niaouli oil in the steam inhalation which assist to clear mucus and phlegm and eliminates the congestion by clearing the breathing passages.
- Massage with the mixture of 2 drops of Frankincense oil, 2 drops of Benzoin essential oil and vaporizing ointment to the throat, chest and back with the steam inhalation which relieves the cold, cough, bronchitis, blocked nose, respiratory allergies, congestion, laryngitis and asthma.
- Add 1 drop of Ylang Ylang oil, 2 drops of Benzoin essential oil and 1 drop of Orange oil to the diffuser which helps to aid the central nervous system, soothes and clears the mind, treats anxiety, controls anger, enhances blood circulation and controls the depressive feelings.
- The mixture of 1 drop of Lavender oil, 2 drops of Benzoin essential oil, 1 drop of Bergamot oil, 1 drop of lemon oil and 1 drop of Frankincense should be applied on the cuts, wounds, pimples, scars, sores and other skin problems which prevents from the germs infections and speeds up the healing process.
- Make the paste of 3 drops of benzoin essential oil, 25 ml clay and enough distilled water. Leave this paste for 20 minutes after applying it to the affected areas. Then with the Chamomile infusion rinse off. It helps to soothe the eczema and psoriasis. For acute condition, it should be repeated few times in a day.
Precautions for Benzoin essential oil
The excessive inhalation of benzoin essential oil results in vomiting, lack of oxygen in blood, nausea and headache. The risk could be reduced by blending this oil with other essential oils. Benzoin oil should not be used with massage oils, lotions and creams in the sensitized and irritated skin. The Benzoin oil should not be used on the bath because it stains the enamel finish or plastic.