You heard right, you can eat banana peels. And not just are they edible – they’re also healthy for you.If you reside in the US, you are probably utilized to tossing banana peels within the trash. But people in other nations, which includes India, have already been benefiting from their nutritional benefits for many years.
While a banana’s flesh is soft as well as sweet, the skin is thicker, fibrous, as well as somewhat bitter. To consume the peel, you may either blend it into smoothies or even fry, bake, or even boil them for around 10 minutes. Heat breaks down the skin’s fiber as well as loosens up that tough texture, making the peel simpler to chew and digest.
Also, the riper you allow the banana to get, the thinner as well as sweeter the peel will become. That is because of the natural plant hormone known as ethylene which fruits release when they ripen.
Ethylene interacts together with the sugars and fiber within the banana skin, changing complex sugars into simple sugars and breaking down pectin, a kind of fiber in bananas which keeps them stiff. This is exactly why the older your banana is, the flimsier it feels. At the same time, other hormones break down the green pigments within the peel, turning them yellow and finally brown.
Health benefits of Banana Peels
Sounds strange, right? But in fact, it’s not! This might be probably the most common fruits present in India and that is also probably why we don’t really enjoy it as much. Before throwing the banana peel in the bin, check this out post to understand its benefits. You will have amazing results.
The flesh of the banana is full of many vitamins and minerals and carbohydrates. It really is loaded with vitamins B6, B12, magnesium and potassium. The sugar content is the highest once the banana peel turns black.Let’s rapidly see the top advantages of this excellent gift of nature.
1. Whitening Teeth
For smokers and people who drink coffee regularly, teeth can become damaged. In this instance, you might like to try techniques used in whitening the teeth. Just before buying teeth whiteners as well as spending a lot of money, consider using a home cure having a banana peel. Clean the teeth using a toothbrush as well as regular toothpaste. Rub in a banana peel in the circular motion in your teeth for around two minutes. Do this again twice daily for much better results.
2. Removes Warts
It is known that to eliminate these types of unpleasant marks on the skin, using banana peel might help eliminate warts in approximately 10 days. Warts are typical and could be somewhat unpleasant. They could be a signal of potassium deficiency. Even though numerous care is sold in a commercial sense to stop warts, banana peels, which are loaded with potassium, may be used to help alleviate in addition to remedy the wart. Peel a banana and also cut a little section of the peel using a knife. Clean the affected region along with water and soap before you apply the banana peel. Rub in the banana peel from the wart. You may also leave the small banana peel piece round the wart and apply an adhesive bandage in the wart. Leave the bandage on overnight and take notice of the results. It will take a few days to find out improvement.
3. Cures Pimples
Just massage banana peels in your face and body for five minutes every single day to avoid pimples. The results needs to be visible in just a week. Keep using the peels until acne vanishes.
4. Reduces Wrinkles
The banana peel maintains the skin hydrated. Add an egg yolk into a mashed banana peel. Apply this mix in your face and leave it for five minutes. Wash off right after 5minutes.
5. Pain Reliever
Use the banana peel right on the painful area. Let it rest for 30 minutes up until the pain is gone. A combination of vegetable oil as well as banana peel will help with pain relief.
This is often a most typical skin disorder. The health advantages of banana peel is the fact when the peel is rubbed on the skin, it gets healed the natural way. You will see the skin turning red when you use the peel but gradually on regular use there exists a big difference.
Next time your kids falls down and gets his/ her knees injured all that you should do is usually to rub the banana peel in the area. The advantages of banana peel helps the wound to obtain dry faster with all the scab formation. Furthermore, it helps prevent the wound from leaving an indication.
Surprisingly, for people with an headache, the health benefits available in use. The banana peel must be mashed properly and place on the forehead to prevent painful headaches. Also to eliminate wrinkles, use the same mash towards the area where there is wrinkles.
There are numerous individuals who whenever bitten with a mosquito receives a small wound round the area. This is frequently present in newborn babies for they have an inclination to scratch since it itches. The most effective advantages of banana peel is to apply it around the bite and you’ll see in the short while it no longer itches.
10. Shoes, Leather, Silver Polish
Rub a banana peel on shoes, leather, as well as silver articles to ensure they shine instantly.
11. Skin Treatments
The banana peel is nice for treating the skin in case you are allergic to the sort of food. All you need to do is rub the skin on the affected part of the body and wash them back when it’s somewhat dry. Making use of it in the night is much more suitable. The health advantages of banana peel could also be used to eliminate acne. Lots of people utilize facial creams to improve their skin, whether or not they are trying to eliminate oily skin and also have dry skin. Rather than spending money on costly facial creams as well as coverings, you may use a mixture created from banana peels just like a facial cream. Mash roughly 1/4 of the banana peel in a paste. Whisk an egg white in the mixture, in addition to 1 tbsp. cornstarch. Beat in the ingredients completely. Use a thin layer through the facial cream in your face and let it to sit for about 30 minutes. Utilize a clean cloth and tepid to warm water to eliminate the facial cream. Keep the remaining unused mixture in the refrigerator for approximately 3 days.
12. Stop a scratched CD or DVD from skipping
In case your favorite disc simply won’t play effortlessly, repair it using a banana peel. To do: Rub the back of the disc in the gentle circular motion using the inside of the peel. Wipe off any residue using a soft cloth, after that lightly spray the disc along with glass cleaner and also buff it till it looks clean. The wax within the peel will fill out scratches without harming the plastic finish, therefore the disc can begin to play without skips.
13. UV Protection
Banana peel works well for safeguarding the eyes through the dangerous UV rays. Be sure you leave the peel under the sun just before rubbing the banana peel in your eyes. It’s also shown to prevent cataracts.
14. Save your eyeballs
Banana peels include lutein, an additional carotenoid along with antiocidant properties. It’s recognized to decrease oxidative stress as well as neutralize free radical to numerous organs, together with your skin, but additionally offers nutritional sustenance in your eyes. Lutein decreases the chance of macular degeneration as well as cataracts, filters out harmful UV rays, and safeguards your eyes from free radical damage.
15. Boost Your Mood
Depression affects everyone. It may come and go through the course of your lifetime. Occasionally depression is a little more severe and sometimes it’s only a feeling which shows up for the hour or two and then disappears. These types of minor dips in mood are typical and are often the outcome of insufficient nutrients. Whenever you’re feeling a little down, why not try consuming banana peels?
Banana peels are full of mood-boosting serotonin-a neurotransmitter derived from tryptophan. Banana peels really are a feel-good food, so eating banana peels is not so bad after all.
16. Treats Anemia
Since the flesh of the banana may be very candy and gentle, the pores and skin of the peel may be very thick, barely bitter and fibrous. It includes large quantity of fibre and iron. Consuming the peel both simply by mixing, baking, or boiling them for around quarter-hour.
17. lt lowers your cholesterol
Your cholesterol could be decreased by increasing consumption of fiber, that reduces chance of heart attack or stroke, and is also a study-proven choice for bolstering any diet. Banana peels consist of more soluble and insoluble fiber compared to more traditionally eaten fruit inside.
Children, particularly throughout the warm months once they spend considerable time outdoors, can often get scrapes on the knees and also elbows. Carpet burns from located on the ground too long can also happen. Rather than utilizing a commercially-sold ointment from the pharmacy, utilize a banana peel to relieve the pain within the scrape and promote healing. Cut just a little part of the banana peel and rub in the peel against the scrape or carpet burn. Within the banana peel serves as ointment aid healing the wound.
19. Great for Depression
Did you know that ripe Banana Peels are ideal for depression? Banana Peels are loaded with serotonin that enhance your mood which help you feel happy, much like prozac and a lot of other mood enhancing drugs… in accordance with a report at the University of Taiwan. Research has shown that if you consume two Banana Peels a day for 3 days you’ve got a net increase of 15% within your serotonin level.
20. Get a Good Night’s Sleep
Talking about tryptophan, banana peels are loaded with this compound too. Tryptophan is a vital amino acid that’s often recommended in supplement form to deal with sleep issues. Consuming banana peels may help you obtain a good night’s sleep.
21. It provides lots of electrolytes
Anybody who played sports like a kid recognizes that if muscles are cramping then bananas are what you eat prior to the big game. The potassium (and electrolytes) within the fruit plays a role in muscle building, metabolizing of carbohydrates, and also the regulation of acid-base balance through the entire body. Banana peels are similarly effective in supplementing potassium.
22. Cardiovascular Health
And Banana Peels might help remove atherosclerosis from the body by avoiding cholesterol from sticking to the walls of the arteries.
23. Weight Loss and Obesity
And because Banana Peels are filled with fiber they also fill you up and therefore can deal with weight reduction as well as obesity.
24. Create Probiotics and Detox
And because you’ve plenty of fiber you create an excellent place for probiotic bacteria or good bacteria to grow within your colon and therefore enhance your immune system. Additionally it helps eliminate constipation and therefore also helps detox the body and make up a better immune system.
25. Anticancer Agents
Banana Peels include effective anticarcinogenic substances which help to avoid cancer. And in addition they consist of cytoprotective agents as well as antimutagenic agents which decrease your likelihood of coming down along with cancer. At the same time have plenty of carotenoids and polyphenols like that found in green tea which help to maintain your immune system healthy.
26. Protect Your Heart
Banana peel is in fact richer in both soluble as well as insoluble fiber than the banana itself-another reason why consuming banana peel is a great idea. Fiber has been confirmed in countless studies to assist in cholesterol-reducing. Whenever you keep the cholesterol levels low, you assist to ward off complications from heart disease like heart attacks as well as stroke. These types of banana peel nutrients are incredibly beneficial.
27. Red Blood Cell Protective Agent
Research also discovered that Banana Peels also safeguards red blood cells from breaking down. And in addition they found that green Banana Peels were even more efficient at safeguarding the body from free-radicals.
28. Keep Slim
Banana peels are packed with fiber and nutrients and not much else! They aren’t loaded with calories and could be an essential food in helping to help keep excess weight from gathering at the waistline-while still letting you reap banana peel nutrients.
29. Boost Your Potassium Levels
Another one of the many banana peel nutrients is potassium. Potassium is required to build muscle, break down carbohydrates, manage the electrical activity of the heart, and also to control the acid-base balance within your body.
30. Combat Puffy Eyes
Whilst cucumbers are definitely the popular method to combat tired, puffy eyes, banana peels can perform the trick too – only use them the same way, over the eyes, to provide you with a bright, freshened look.
31. Treat dark circles
You can also place small pieces of banana peel beneath your eyes after having a tiring day to deal with dark circles.
Ways to Eat Banana Peels
There are places in the world exactly where they eat bananas skin on regular basis… and in some cultures banana peels are fried like a treat. In Eastern India Banana Peels are utilized for making plenty of dishes and also to make desserts.You may also make Banana Peel tea – simply boil Banana Peels in water, allow the water cool and you’ve got plenty of healthy nutrients which will help you stay healthy and strong. And also the nutrient rich Banana Peel Tea may be used in gravy, soups, sauces, as well as in rice and other dishes.You may make an excellent smoothie together with the whole banana including the peel… it takes great! Take one whole banana and add 1 1/2 cups of any kinds of milk you would like, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and a 1/2 cup of ice cubes or even more and blend in a strong blender… it tastes great!
In some Asian countries the whole banana is cooked flesh and all. Some even cut Banana Peels in to 1 inch pieces and dry them in the sun, and then steam them for a great tasting treat. And the darker the Banana Peel the sweeter, and make use of those black bananas that you simply normally used in Banana Nut Bread blending them peel and all, and add them to your batter… works great!
Useful And Unusual Methods to Protect The Peel From Waste
1. Fertilize Tomato Plants
Wrap a banana peel around your tomato seedlings when you first plant them. Since the tomato plant grows, it’ll absorb the nutrients through the peel through the entire season.
2. Feed Indoor Plants
Stick a banana peel in the large jar of water in the one part banana to five parts water ratio and after it’s soaked the nutrients out of the peel, fertilize your indoor plants together with the health-enhanced water.
One of the most popular – and easiest – use for banana peels is usually to combine them in the compost pile. Peels add potassium and phosphorus to compost that encourage root development and overall plant health whenever included in garden soil. You need to be conscious that banana peels are green material as well as too much of a good thing can cancel out the balance of the compost.
4. Relieve Rashes and Itches
If you’ve had a bug bite, poison ivy rashes, psoriasis patches, you are able to take your banana peels and rub them in your skin. In case you experience burning, that psoriasis often causes, or itching from allergy symptoms and bug bites, put the banana peel in the fridge till it will become cool. Put the chilled peel onto your skin for immediate relief.
5. Feed Animals
Throw your banana peel in a blender or even chop it up and mix it into feed for chickens, pigs, rabbits, along with other livestock. Regularly, it’s not well suited for domesticated pets’ digestive systems, like cats and dogs, however the occasional banana chunk is a superb method of getting in essential vitamins.
6. Make Banana Vinegar
Banana peels have got a bitter taste with the underlying sugary taste to them, that is what makes it a great resource for home-made vinegar to use for salads, or even any recipe which demands vinegar. Place 2 pounds of sliced-up banana peels into 4 cups of water and bring it to the boil. Eliminate peels from the pot and also squeeze their juices in the pot utilizing a cheesecloth or perhaps similar material.Add four more cups of water with a cup and a half of sugar and bring it to a boil. Drop the temperature and also stir for 15 minutes. Get a canning jar and pool the liquid in together with one half teaspoon of baker’s yeast, and screw the lid onto it and place it in the cool place for seven days. Open the jar and filter out and take away any sediment, then add one cup of vinegar and then leave it for four weeks.Then it’s prepared to be thrown in a pot over heat for 10 minutes of pasteurization. Wash the jar thoroughly and place contents back into the jar in the dark cool place till you’re ready to use it. The entire procedure takes 2 months, yet it’s natural and also totally resourceful.
7. Tenderize Meat
Take a ripe banana peel and cover your boneless, skinless cuts of meat so as to keep it from toughening or drying out throughout baking or perhaps frying.
8. Eat the Peel
If you wish to consume a banana peel for an additional boost of nutrients, fiber, as well as antioxidants, be sure to boil the peel for 10 minutes. Then toss the peel in your juicer or blender along with other fruits so as to mask any bitterness. Always be certain to clean and take away any pesticides through the peel, which works the same for just about any fruit you eat.
9. Livestock Feed
Humans aren’t the only ones who take pleasure in bananas. Livestock just like chickens, rabbits, as well as pigs will enjoy ground up dried banana peels added to their feed. Just be sure to clean the peels of any wax or even pesticides just before drying and providing them to pets or livestock.
10. Soothe Skin Irritations
Rub moist banana peels on bug bites, stings, along with other skin irritations. The fruit acids, vitamins, and minerals doesn’t just assist to calm away pain and itching. They’re also ideal for the skin!
11. Improve Your Complexion
Massage a bit of ripe banana peel over your whole face once every few days. The fruit acids and nutrients within the peel may help exfoliate as well as nourish the skin, giving it a softer, younger, as well as healthier appearance.
12. Attract Butterflies and Birds
By placing your peels on the raised platform, like a birdhouse or even tree branch, butterflies and birds will probably be attracted to the sweetness of the peel. However, it’s important to note bees and wasps like the peel’s sweet contents, so it’s better to keep it out of your house or children.
13. Polish Leather and Silver
Rub the inside of your banana peel in your leather shoes, jackets, or perhaps furniture and after that buff it along with strokes from the soft cloth. Also mix the peel along with water to use it like a silver shiner as well as cleaner.
14. Compost Tea
On a similar note, in case you don’t have a compost pile, you may still utilize banana peels to feed your garden. Just drop a few peels in a bucket full of water and allow it to sit for a couple of days to make compost “tea.” Combine one part banana peel compost “tea” with five parts fresh water as well as feed this mineral-rich mixture in your plants about once a month instead of your normal watering. The additional potassium and phosphorus will deliver your plants a boost to keep them growing strong.
15. Shine Up Houseplants
Rub the soft fleshy side of the banana peels on the leaves of the houseplants to clean off and dust or debris and provide them a nutritious glow. This is particularly convenient for indoor plants along with waxy leaves just like Scheffleras, Calatheas, Crotons, and Ficus trees.
16. Banana Peel Juice
By now it’s not a secret that there are lots of nutrients and vitamins within the peel of a banana. Reap the benefits of all that additional nutritional value simply by juicing your peels. Just add peels into a pot of boiling water for Ten minutes to draw out the juices, eliminate peels, and let cool. You may then add some resulting banana peel juice to smoothies or any other drinks for the boost of vitamins and minerals. Again, make certain to clean the peels first to eliminate wax, dirt, along with other contaminants just before cooking them!
Recipe of Banana Peels
1. Banana peel thoran
- peels removed from 4 medium bananas
- 1 small onion or 2-3 shallots, chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 red chili, kept whole
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- 3 tbsp dessicated coconut or freshly grated coconut
- 10-12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- salt as required
- First rinse the bananas. when taking out the peels, soak them in a bowl of water, so they don’t darken.
- You may also soak them in water by which about ¼ tsp turmeric powder is added.
- Slice the black dark spots through the peels if there are any and chop them finely.
- Heat oil in the pan. first crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add the chopped onion or shallots. saute up until onions are transparent.
- Now add some red chili, green chili, cumin powder, asafoetida/hing, and curry leaves.
- Sauté for some seconds. add some turmeric powder and stir.
- Add the banana peels and the coconut.
- If utilizing fresh coconut, then coarsely ground the grated coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds and add it at this stage.
- Sprinkle salt and stir. add about ¼ or ½ cup water. cover the pan and allow the peels cook till they’re done.
- Check in between to determine the doneness as well as to find out if the thoran has not dried up whilst cooking.
- Add some more water if needed if the peels are still not done and cover and cook further.
- When the peels are cooked and if there is some moisture or water within the pan, then just dry it on low flame.
- Serve the banana peel thoran hot with a few steamed rice, followed by dal, sambar and rasam.
2. Bananas Skins with Black-Eyed Peas
- 4 green banana peels
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ c black-eyed peas (if using fresh, soak overnight)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened grated coconut
- Juice of one lime
- Chop peels into small pieces and also boil in water with turmeric and dash of salt. To avoid sap from sticking to your pot, include a few drops of oil on the water. Bring to a boil, and after that simmer till skins are tender. Drain, reserving water for the later use (we like to utilize it to cook rice or like a base for soup).
- If using fresh black-eyed peas, boil until tender. If using canned, rinse and drain beans.
- Heat coconut oil in skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook till they start to pop. Add boiled peels and black-eyed peas, stir, and cook for around 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Add salt to taste and finish with lime juice. Serve.
3. Green Banana Curry
- 4 green banana peels
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 hot peppers (ideally one green and one red chili, but you can use jalapeno or other small hot peppers)
- 1 dried red pepper, crumbled (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Chop peels into small pieces, or about a half-inch wide and two-inches long, and soak in a bowl of water.
- Heat oil in the skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds. When seeds begin to crackle and pop, add onion and sauté until transparent
- Add ginger, hot peppers, red pepper if utilizing, cinnamon, and cumin. Stir and sauté for a minute, and then add turmeric. Add banana peels and coconut. Sprinkle with salt and stir.
- Add coconut milk plus one-half cup water. Cover pan and cook slowly till peels are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. If the peels aren’t soft or perhaps the pan gets too dry, add more water when needed and keep cooking, covered, until peels are tender.
- Stir again to mix, add salt to taste, and serve over rice.
4. Banana Peel Chutney
- 5 banana peels (reserve meat from 1 banana)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil of choice
- Cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds
- Boil peels for 15 minutes. Drain and chop.
- Sauté mustard seeds in vegetable oil till they start to pop. Season using a dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes. Add garlic and onion, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add jalapeno and peels, and cook for just two more minutes. Add turmeric, fenugreek, banana meat, and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Put everything in blender or make use of an immersion blender to combine till mostly combined (consistency really should not be totally smooth-a little lumpy is OK). Taste and season as required.
- Spread on crackers, bread, use like a dip or like a condiment with Indian-style dishes.
5. Banana Peel Stirfry
- Raw Banana – 2 , boiled
- Onion or Pear onions – 2 tbsp , chopped
- Curry leaves – a few
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Boil the bananas till fork tender and remove the peel.
- Use the banana for garlic-pepper-vegge-balls or kerala-style-raw-banana-potato-curry.
- And the peel is utilized for this recipe.
- Remove the top fiber layer through the boiled peels and chop finely.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add onion and curry leaves and cook till onion turns translucent.
- Add the turmeric and chili powder and cook for the minute.
- Add the chopped peels and mix well and add salt.
- Cook for an additional two three minutes and you’re prepared to serve.