The cabbage juice is extracted from the vegetable cabbage which is full of water. The cabbage can be found in varieties such as purple, green and red. Exterior has the open leaves in green cabbages. The cabbage belongs to the vegetable of cruciferous family. The cabbage is fermented to make khimchi and sauerkraut in Japan, Korea, China and Russia.
Health Benefits of Cabbage juice
Cabbage serves various medicinal properties which has various health benefits such as:
1. Heals Ulcers
The peptic ulcer may be cured by drinking cabbage juice. The mucosal linings of gastrointestinal tract are supported. As the cabbage juice is rich in sulforaphane, it prevents from peptic ulcers. In a study, the ulcer was healed by drinking a liter of cabbage juice regularly within 10 days. The presence of phytochemicals in cabbage juice helps to relieve the acid reflux symptoms as well as calms the gastric lining.
2. Protect yourself from heart disease
The heart disease is prevented by the presence of selenium in cabbage juice. The cabbage juice also prevents from the stroke, cardiovascular disease and blood pressure due to the presence of Omega 3 fatty acid in high level.
3. Targets “Bad” Cholesterol
The bad cholesterol is reduced by the cabbage juice by lessening the blood levels of low density lipoprotein.
4. Cure digestive disorders
The cabbage contains a lactic acid which operates as a colon disinfectant. The various digestive disorders can be cured by the raw cabbage juice.
5. Say goodbye to arthritis
The symptom of arthritis is prevented from the cabbage juice as it is rich in selenium. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to fight against degenerative inflammatory disorders.
6. Treat asthma, colds and bronchitis
The raw cabbage juice can speed up the healing process of respiratory tract. It works a wonder for curing the bronchitis, cold and asthma effectively.
7. Helps to control weight
Cabbage juice helps to lose weight by promoting digestion by discharging the waste of the stomach. Obesity and overweight is result of improper digestion.
8. Anti-cancer properties
The anti-carcinogenic properties in cabbage juice prevents from prostate, colon and bladder cancer. The risk of breast cancer is reduced by changing the way of estrogen used in the body. It also increases the immunity power and assists the healing process of cancer.
9. Good for Anemia patients
The new blood cells are generated and the presence of iron in suffocating amount assists the anemia patients. The hemoglobin is generated by the iron which is crucial for the anemia patients. The Vitamin C is present in cabbage by 60% which help to absorb iron. Anemia patients are recommended cabbage by the doctor.
10. Detox your body
The raw cabbage juice helps to detox the body from the damaging hormones and chemicals. The liver is cleansed if the raw cabbage juice is drinked.
11. Make skin soft and fair
The cabbage juice contains Vitamin E and Vitamin A which assist in making the skin soft and fairer. The presence of potassium makes the skin fairer by detoxifying it. Instead of investing huge amount in beauty products, cabbage juice should be drinking every day.
12. Alleviate allergies
The T-cells are regulated by a compound called histidine which prevents from allergies. In the synthesis of white and red blood cells the amino acid is involved which helps in immune defense, inflammation and handles allergic reactions.
13. Makes hair strong and stop hair loss
The cabbage juice helps to avoid hair loss making the hair strong. The presence of sulfur in the cabbage juice is great for nails, hairs and skins. It also helps to recover the hair loss. It promotes strong hair by nourishing the roots of the hair. The one who drinks the cabbage juice regularly supports the long, shining and healthy hair.
14. Keeps brain healthy
It promotes the proper mental function as it contains Vitamin K. The Alzheimer disease and nerve damage is prevented as well. The free radicals and uric acid is eliminated by the presence of Sulfur and Vitamin C in huge amount.
15. Prevents Cataract
Vision can be decreased by the cataracts which can be cured by the consumption of cabbage juice regularly.
16. Strong bones
The risk of osteoporosis and bone weakening can be reduced by the cabbage juice due to the presence of magnesium and potassium which are vital for bone protection.
How to make cabbage juice
Adding cabbage juice to the diet helps to treat stomach ulcers by protecting the mucous membrane lining of stomach as it contains L-glutamine and gefarnate.
- 3 cups (675 g) chopped green cabbage
- 1 ¾ cups (435 ml) water
- Boil the water in a small pot for 30 minutes. The water you use must be free of chlorine and other additives. Most of the undesirable elements can be eliminated by boiling, but you can also run your water through a filter or leave it sitting out at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Note that you do not need to do this if using distilled water. You only need to purify your water if it comes from your tap or well.
- Put the chopped cabbage and the water into a blender. Use a large blender so the blender is only about 2/3 full. If you fill the blender to the top, the ingredients may not blend thoroughly enough.
- Blend the cabbage and water together at low speed. Stop as soon as the water is green-tinted, along with visible pieces of cabbage still floating round. It only take one or two minutes.
- Blend the mixture on high for about 10 seconds. Do not allow the mixture to blend at high speed for much longer than that. There should still be a few small pieces of cabbage floating around in the juice. You do not want to create a paste or a pure
- Pour the mixture into a 1-quart (1 liter) jar. Make sure there is at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) between the surface of the cabbage mixture and the rim of the jar. The liquid will likely expand as it sits, so it needs room.
- Seal the jar tightly with plastic wrap. The jar that you use has a lid will also work well. For tighter seal, you can stretch plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar as well as screw the cap on the jar over the wrap.
- The cabbage mixture is let to sit undisturbed at room temperature. The temperature should not drop below 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degree Celsius) or to rise above 78 degrees Fahrenheit (25.6 degrees Celsius). The ideal temperature is about 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22.2 degrees Celsius).
- Let the cabbage mixture sit for 3 full days or 72 hours. The juice is fermenting, growing cultures that will help your digestive health.
- Place a mesh strainer over a clean, empty jar. Use a strainer with relatively small gaps, if possible, to separate as much of the mixture’s liquid from the mixture’s solid parts as possible. Make sure the strainer you use is also smaller than the mouth of the jar to avoid any overlap or spillage.
- Pour the pulpy liquid through the strainer and into the second jar. Strain the liquid slowly to avoid accidentally spilling the juice or causing the strainer to get clogged with pulp.
- Cap the jar. Store your cabbage juice inside the refrigerator until ready to use and serve it chilled.
- Repeat this process when your original supply gets low, reserving ½ cup (125 milliliters) of your original batch. This ½ cup (125 milliliters) should be added to your new batch before fermentation process.
- Allow your new batch to sit at room temperature for 2 hours before straining. By adding cultured juice from the previous batch, you sped up the time it took for your new batch to ferment.
Cabbage juice dosage
The juice of cabbage half or more should be consumed several times a day to cure peptic ulcer. If one does not want to have it straight, then other juices such as celery juice or carrot juice might be mixed.
Caution of using Cabbage Juice
Purple cabbage might be the optional for those having an issue with green cabbage. Digestive problems might be created to some people while eating raw.
The blood sugar levels are affected in the people with diabetes by the cabbage.
Medicine Interaction (Warfarin)
Cabbage interacts with warfarin, pain killers and anxiety drugs. So while using these, the intake of cabbage must be avoided. Otherwise, the physician should be recommended before using. The halved cabbage loses the nutrients content.