Lime trees are short which grows between 6 to 13 feet high. It is bushy and has green oval fruits, white blossoms and dark green leaves. Tahiti lime and Mexican lime are the two main types of lime trees. Lime was originated in Southeast Asia and after that it advanced to Africa and Egypt. Lime was introduced during 1200s in Spain by the Moors. It is pale yellow or light olive in color with quite acute scent. It also adds flavor to the foods.
The Lime essential oil is extracted from the dried lime peels by the process of steam distillation process. It is also known from its scientific name Citrus Aurantifolia. It contains the compounds like Beta Pinene, Limonene, Cineole, Borneol, Neral Acetate, Alpha Pinene, Myrcene, Terpinolene, Linalool, Citral and Gernanyl Acetate. It is used for making jams, sauces, sorbets, beverages, pickles, marmalades, squash, desserts and cosmetics. It provides various nutrients with full of antioxidants.
Health benefits of Lime Essential Oil
The Lime essential oil has antiviral, astringent, bactericidal, febrifuge, restorative, antiseptic, aperitif, disinfectant, haemostatic and tonic substance properties in it.
Due to the presence of antiseptic properties, it protects and cures infections. If wounded by iron then it prevent from tetanus. The consumption of lime essential oil can treat the infection problems of colon, intestines, throat, mouth, stomach and urinary system. It can treat gangrene, ulcers, carbuncles, sores, psoriasis, rashes and bronchitis effectively. Viral infections such as colds, mumps, flu, mumps, colds and measles could be effectively treated.
2. Blood Pressure
It improves blood pressure which is caused by stress.
The viral infections such as mumps, pox, measles and common cold are prevented by this essential oil.
Lime essential oil if added to the coconut oil or lotion helps to decrease cellulite when massaged to the concern area.
Toothache problems are cured by the lime essential oil with intensifying the grips of gums on the teeth and prevent from falling out. Loose muscles are tightened with the fitness, firmness and feeling of youth. Diarrhea is also treated by this essential oil. The presence of astringents helps to contract blood vessels in order to stop hemorrhaging.
2 drops of coconut oil should be added to one drop of lime essential oil to make a great deodorant and apply it under the arm.
If lime essential oil is taken in small doses then it acts as an aperitif or an appetizer. The secretion of digestive juices are activated which helps to increase the appetite and hunger.
If the lime essential oil is used internally or externally or diffused then it assists in spiritual and emotional aspects.
The lime essential oil also cures the cholera, diarrhea, typhoid and food poisoning. The internal bacterial infections in stomach, colon, urinary tract and intestines and external bacterial infections on ears, wounds, eyes and skin are also prevented by the use of lime essential oil.
10. Dry Erase Board Cleaner
Dejunking ability is also present in Lime Essential Oil. Rag should be rubbed for removing crayon, marker and buildup by adding one drop to gunky dry erase board.
11. Energy Booster
A glass of water should be added a drop of Lime Essential Oil in order to increase the mood and energy levels. It restores strength and health to organ systems. The infection of microbes in the genitals, urinary tract, colon and kidneys is also prevented. The skin and wounds are prevented from infections and fastens up the healing process when applied externally. To apply on the scalp, it should be in dilute state and it prevents from infections like lice and hair won’t fall prematurely.
The fever is related with the infections like viral infections, cold, bacterial infections, liver malfunctions, and infection on wounds, allergies, boils, pox and arthritis which can be prevented with the antiallergenic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, cicatrisant, antiseptic, antitussive and fungicidal properties of lime essential oil.
13. Exhaustion/ Fatigue
For the uplifting benefits it could be massaged into the skin, diffuse into the air or water could be added a drop of lime essential oil.
14. Gum/ Grease Removal
Lime essential oil helps to erase grease, sticker or gum. It could be applied directly or add in the cleaning products.
It helps to increase the coagulation of blood or contract the blood vessels to stop the bleeding. Due to the presence of astringent properties, it serves as haemostatic to lessen hemorrhaging.
16. Sore throat
The soreness could be eliminated by adding the drop of lime and lemon essential oil to the hot tea or gargle by adding it to the warm water.
The lime essential helps to restore the strength and health to the organ systems. Those who had extended bouts of illness or injury and are recovering, this essential oil is effective as it provides the effect of tonic.
18. Lymphatic support
The movement of lymphatic system could be enhanced by massaging the mixture of lime essential oil and coconut oil from the hands, feet and working the way towards the heart.
Muscles, skin, tissues and various systems such as circulatory, digestive, excretory, respiratory and nervous systems are emphasized with the use of lime essential oil. The aging symptoms such as age spots, wrinkles, hair loss and muscle weakness are prevented.
Suggested Uses of Lime Essential Oil
- Along with uplifting the mood, it also cleanses the air if diffused.
- The grease spots and sticker residue can be removed if lime is added to the cotton pad.
- The drinking water can be added a drop of lime to boost the antioxidants and flavor.
- Lime essential oil can uplift the high stress situations.
- The lime essential oil if diffused or applied topically or internally assists the spiritual or emotional aspects.
- In 1 ounce of water, add 2-3 drops of oil and with the use of cotton ball, apply to the affected area. The oily skin peoples can use it as a toner.
- The mixture of 1 ounce of carrier oil and 2-3 drops of lime essential oil should be massaged to the affected area to cure rheumatism and arthritis.
- The 2-3 drops of lime essential oil should be used in a cold compress for curing bleeding cuts and wounds. The mixture of 2-3 drops of lime essential oil and 1 ounce of carrier oil when massaged on the affected area helps to get rid of cellulite.
- The inhalation of steam by adding 2-3 drops of lime essential oil helps to relieve colds, sinusitis, congestion, coughs and sore throats. The oil could be rubbed on the neck and chest by adding it to carrier oil.
- 2-3 drops of lime essential oil if added to a diffuser helps to lessen listlessness, exhaustion and depression. 8-10 drops can be added to the bath water.
- For the deodorant, 1 ounce of water should be added 2-3 drops of oil. For bath, the unscented shower gel could be mixed with 1-2 drops of oil and shower as normal.
- In quart sized bottle of water, 5-6 drops could be added to use it as a disinfectant. It should be refreshed weekly.
- 2-3 drops of lime essential oil should be used in a cold compress to cool fever.
- 2-3 drops could be added to the diffuser or steam inhalation after an illness to boost the immune system. It should be used continuously for 2-3 days.
- Massaging with the mixture of 2-3 drops of lime essential oil and 1ounce of almond oil helps to increase nail growth.
- 2-3 drops if added to the rinse water while cleaning the freezer, oven or refrigerator helps to erase residue and provides extra freshness.
- Massaging with the mixture of 2-3 drops of lime essential oil in carrier oil is helpful for varicose veins.
- The sticky residue can be erased by adding a few drops on it, let it sit for 5 minutes and rub away.
- The lime essential oil if added to the diffuser helps to purify the air.
- The cut fruit if added a few drops will prevent it from browning.
- The grease, gum or sticker could be removed from the surfaces if applied directly or adding it to the cleaning products.
- The lime essential oil if added to the shampoo or conditioner helps to remove excessive oil, cleanses the hair, reduces dandruff and makes the hair manageable.
- 5-6 drops of lime if diffused for 30-60 minutes by adding it to the aroma diffuser helps to eliminate mental fatigue.
- The lime essential oil if diffused aromatically helps to uplift the mood.
- The lime essential oil helps to stop bleeding by promoting coagulation and contracting blood vessels which helps to reduce the risk of hemorrhages.
- A drop of lime essential oil should be applied on a wart for 2-3 times daily for first three days. After three days, apply 2-3 times, the mixture of 1 teaspoon sweet almond oil and 1 drop of lime until the wart is removed. After applying the mixture, it should be covered with the bandage for best results.
How to make Lime oil
Cold pressing and distilling are the two ways of producing lime oil. The oil in cold pressed method has rich and fresh lime peel fragrance with a yellow or green in color. The distilled oil has a fruity fragrance with a pale yellow or clear in color.
The lime essential oil can be made at home:
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 limes
- Citrus zester or paring knife
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves (Optional)
- Fine-mesh sieve
- Heat two cups of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. While doing this, wash the limes and dry them thoroughly.
- Using the paring knife or zester, cut the lime zest into quarter-inch strips. Do not cut into the pith, though.
- Add the lime zest and two Kaffir lime leaves (if using) to the olive oil. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and then cover, allowing the zest and leaves to steep for 2½ hours.
- Using the fine-mesh sieve, store the oil in an airtight and non-reactive storage container. You can leave the zest in the mixture as a garnish. Store it in a cool, dry place. No need for refrigeration.
It can be used for up to two weeks.
Lime Oils reacts to radiant energy, light and other UV rays. This oil if exposed to the sun then it has adverse reaction to the skin such as dark pigmentation, rash. The direct sunlight should be avoided for 12 hours after use. The skin sensitivity should be tested before wide use on the skin. Skin sensitization may occur with its excessive use. Ears, nose and eyes should be avoided while using lime essential oil. The lime essential oil should be used in the way the maker has recommended.