|Health benefits of Rice bran oil Quick Facts|
|Name:||Health benefits of Rice bran oil|
|Origin||It is native to South Asia and Africa. It was extracted, isolated and purified in mid 1950s. Later on, it was used for medicinal purposes.|
|Health benefits||Lower cholesterol, Maintains blood pressure, Treat hyperglycemia, Lowers hot flashes, Prevents cancer|
It is native to South Asia and Africa. It is used as a vital source of nutrient by the people. It was extracted, isolated and purified in mid 1950s. It was used in Japan as medicinal for the treatment of anxiety and menopause. In late 1980s, it was used to control the elevated triglycerides and cholesterol.
Health Benefits of Rice bran oil
This oil has been extracted from inner husk of rice bran. It is rich in unsaponifiables and fatty acids. It has gammaoryzanol which is an antioxidant property. The study shows various physiological effects associated with gamma-oryzanol. It has antioxidants, vitamins, nutrients and free from trans fat. It is light as well as versatile. Rice bran oil helps to lower cholesterol and prevents the chances of cardiovascular ailments. It is an excellent source of proteins, carbohydrates and amino acids that assist in the repair and growth of muscles.
- Lower cholesterol
The oil extracted from rice bran reduces cholesterol level in rats and also possess anti-infection as well as anti-cancer properties in humans. The latest study shows that the cholesterol level was decreased in animals upto 62 percent when fed with rice bran oil supplements. It prevents the HMG-CoA reductase activities which is an enzyme that is included in cholesterol biosynthesis. (1)
- Maintains blood pressure
The people who use rice bran oil, they experience reduction in blood pressure as well as rise in cholesterol levels. As the rice bran oil has low content of saturated fat, it promotes the cholesterol level. It prevents the chances of heart problems. The study shows that there was 27% drop in LDL cholesterol level and 10.9% increase in HDL cholesterol level when they took both oil and calcium channel blocker. (2)
- Treat hyperglycemia
The blend of 80% refined rice bran oil and 20% unrefined sesame oil helps to reduce hyperglycemia and enhance the lipid profile in the patients suffering from type 2 diabetes. (3)
- Lowers hot flashes
The research shows that rice bran oil is helpful for the menopausal women. The women who took rice bran oil, they experienced lower in symptoms of menopause and hot flashes. (4)
- Prevents cancer
This oil is a great source of antioxidants, Vitamin E and oryzanol. It has antioxidant properties which eliminates free radicals from the body. Free radicals can cause mutation of healthy cells into cancerous cells. The antioxidants in the body help to lower the chances of cancer. (5)
- Skin health
Vitamin E assists in the prevention of cancer and maintains the skin health as well as its wellness. Free radicals could cause the premature aging by affecting skin cells. It increases healing process of wounds, increase regeneration of cells, lowers wrinkles and prevents sunburn. It enhance the skin cells by eliminating pathogens and foreign elements from the skin. (6)
Rice bran oil helps to soothe allergic reactions in the body and also prevents hyper sensitivity to other allergens. It is not allergic when used for cooking purposes. (7)
- Assist to lose weight
Rice bran oil is rich in calories but due to the viscosity of oil, less oil is absorbed by the food which helps to provide various health benefits. The intake of calories in this oil is less in comparison to other vegetable oils. So the one who is conscious about weight should prefer this oil. (8)
- It is useful for high cholesterol.
- It is used to lower under eye puffiness and dark circles.
- This oil provides relief from stress if massaged on the parts of body.
- The oil is used to make skin creams and soaps.
- Due to moisturizing and softening properties, it is used in various products.
- It is used in stir fries, deep fry, French fries and salad dressings.
- It is used for making vegetable ghee and rice bran wax.
- It is also used for baking and sautéing.
- It is used with spices and gourmet vinegar.
- It is better not to use by the pregnant as well as lactating women due to insufficient information.
- Some could experience minor allergic reactions with its use.
- It might cause stomach problem, irregular bowel movements, rashes, itching, skin redness and other health ailments.
- For children, it should be used under the supervision of doctor.
- It could worsen the ulcers.
- This oil has high smoking point.
- It is widely known in Asian countries such as Japan, Bangladesh, China and India.
- It improves the level of cholesterol and prevents the chances of cardiovascular ailments.
- India is the highest producer of Rice bran oil.
- Since 1994, USA started to produce this oil.
Rice bran oil facts
The oil which is derived from the interior husk or rice is called Rice bran oil. It has high smoking point with meek flavor. It is preferable for high temperature cooking purposes. It has high content of antioxidants, vitamins and is free from trans-fat. It helps to reduce cholesterol, strengthen immune system and encounter diseases as well as free radicals. It is mostly used to deep fry, stir fry and dressing salads. This oil is composed of 25% of saturated fats, 38% of monounsaturated oil and 37% of polyunsaturated oil.
|Name||Health benefits of Rice bran oil|
|Native||It is native to South Asia and Africa. It is used as a vital source of nutrient by the people.|
|Common/English Name||Gamma oryzanol, rice bran protein, rice bran wax, gammariza, gamma oryzanol|
|Smoke point||232 °C (450 °F)|
|Flavor/aroma||Piquant nutty, mild, insignificant|