Sea salt, also referred to as bay salt, is made by the procedure for evaporation of salt water bodies. It really is darker colored when compared to the refined salts because of the assimilation of essential minerals through the clay lining of the body of water. Usually, the harvesting of refined table salt requires heavy processing, which includes mining accompanied by iodizing, bleaching, as well as diluting along with anti-caking agents. More chemicals are added throughout the processing of salt, which frequently steals all its advantageous minerals as well as trace elements, other than sodium and chloride.
Unlike refined salts, the preparation of sea salt generally consists of very little processing, therefore it retains its moisture as well as mineral treasure. These types of minerals can be found in the form which is easily utilized and also absorbed by the body of a human. The climate and also the physical location of the region also play a substantial role within the quality as well as combination of minerals provided by the sea salt.
The Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, and also the North Sea are definitely the most typical hubs for the harvesting of sea salt. The method involved with harvesting sea salt also helps to maintain its natural state as well as therapeutic qualities. These types of healing qualities of sea salt assist in maintaining good cellular functioning of the body and also have been valued for a long time. In ancient times, sea salt was valuable for healing hand injuries and wounds of fishermen.
Celtic sea salt is gathered in a different way, and utilizes conventional Celtic methods. These techniques involve working as well as gathering the salt entirely by hand, only using wooden tools. It doesn’t include harmful chemicals as well as additives which are generally included with the refined salts to avoid them from clumping.
Health Benefits of Sea Salt
The health advantages of sea salt consist of good skincare, improved oral health, rest from rheumatoid arthritis, muscle cramps, psoriasis, as well as osteoarthritis. It may also help in offering rest from acne and rhinosinusitis. In addition, it is good for exfoliation, nasal as well as eye wash, as well as an enhanced electrolytic balance of the body. It’s healing qualities that perform an important role to maintain acid-alkali ratio, frequent heartbeat, as well as relaxed sleep, together with offering rest from general body fatigue.
1. Skin Care
The mineral content in Dead Sea salt have got long been valued because of their reviving effects on the skin. Bathing in the Dead Sea salt solution works well for keeping the skin moisturized as well as revitalized. Dead Sea salt baths also aid in enhancing the skin barrier function and also removes the roughness and inflammation on the skin’s surface. Research indicates that the anti-inflammatory effect is related to the existence of a high magnesium content within the Dead Sea salts. It may also help within the detoxification of the body by eliminating toxins through the pores, whilst helping in enhancing blood circulation.
2. Weight Loss
Believe it or not, seal salt can in fact assist you to loose weight. It will help the body to make digestive juices, helping the body to digest the foods you eat faster. It may also help to avoid build up within your digestive tract, which can lead to constipation & weight gain.
3. Dental Health
Sea salt consists of fluoride that is valuable in improving oral health. This mineral forms a safety barrier close to teeth safeguarding them in opposition to acidic damage. It may also help in fighting cavities as well as dental caries. In case you have mouth sores, bleeding gums, sore throat and also ulcers, gargling and rinsing the mouth area with sea salt water can relieve pain and facilitate healing because of these conditions.
4. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Dead Sea salts have been shown to be efficient in offering therapeutic relief to patients struggling with rheumatoid arthritis. Research has made it clear that baths that contains Dead Sea salts have got anti-inflammatory characteristics and also have shown substantial enhancements in such health conditions when compared with normal sodium chloride baths.
Sea salt finds another use in the cosmetic industry within the manufacturing of scrubs along with other skin care items like antiperspirants as well as deodorants. Exfoliation along with sea salts helps you to eliminate dead skin particles, tones up the skin tissues, promotes peripheral blood flow, and helps in skin renewal. Unlike table salt, the granular texture of sea salt is effective in offering clean and smooth skin. Sea salt scrub therapy is also recommended for sufferers struggling with low blood pressure, epilepsy, poor blood circulation, as well as general body fatigue by promoting healthy blood circulation.
Sea salt is regarded as an all natural cure for the management of psoriasis, together with the appropriate medication. Treatment along with sea salt has demonstrated significant enhancements in those patients struggling with numerous skin disorders just like itching and scaling. The effectiveness of balneotherapy, that is done utilizing a sea salt treatment along with mud packs and sulfur baths on those struggling with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis has additionally shown encouraging results with regards to a decrease in spinal pain and elevated flexibility of the spine.
Scientific studies have shown improvements in those sufferers struggling with knee osteoarthritis right after treatment using balneotherapy with Dead Sea salt. Additionally, a few patients was able to sustain their improved health parameters even after few weeks, unlike those patients who took the bath treatment along with normal sodium chloride.
Scientific studies have confirmed that Dead Sea salt solution is also great at dealing with rhinosinusitis. The research also determined that nasal irrigation as well as sprays done with sea salt demonstrated better systematic relief when compared with those made from a hypertonic saline solution. The anti-inflammatory effects of Dead Sea salts turn it into a natural and healthy option to be regarded as for the treatment of nasal allergies along with other respiratory problems when compared with nasal steroids, that might have particular negative effects like inflammation that may result in mucus secretion. The mineral content contained in Dead Sea salts helps you to reduce swelling and congestion too.
9. Fights Dehydration
Dehydration is a very common occurrence particularly if you are experiencing loose stool or even diarrhea. Fortunately, sea salt might help to keep you dehydrated. A simple mix of sea salt as well as drinking water has got water retention abilities that are essential in combating dehydration.
10. Electrolyte Balance
Sea salt works well for maintaining a healthy electrolyte balance within the body, that is essential for maintaining optimum blood composition and circulation, muscular strength, as well as overall functioning of the body. Minerals just like potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium help with the electrolytic equilibrium of the body.
Sea salts consist of sulphur which will help in cleansing and also the treating of skin disorders just like dermatitis as well as acne scars.
12. Aching Feet
Soaking your tired feet in the warm sea salt solution helps you to relax the muscles, as well as reducing the soreness as well as pain within your aching feet.
13. Encourages Restful Sleep
Sea salt baths have got a calming as well as soporific effect, therefore helping in causing profound, rejuvenating sleep. It may also help in avoiding excessive salivation which flows out of the mouth while asleep, keeping the body hydrated.
14. Normal Heartbeat
Sea salt helps with maintaining healthy levels of blood pressure helping to stabilize irregular heartbeats. It’s got also shown beneficial effects in avoiding the appearance of numerous cardiac disorders.
15. Prevents Hair Loss
One of the less popular advantages of sea salt is definitely the stimulation of healthy hair growth. Massaging the scalp together with the sea salt helps with enhanced blood circulation as well as strengthens the hair follicles.
16. Muscle Cramps
Sea salt is effective in reducing muscle cramps helping in enhancing muscular strength. Essential minerals just like magnesium as well as potassium have got healing as well as rejuvenating qualities, therefore making sea salts an all natural remedy to prevent pains and aches. The osmosis effect developed by the solute content within the sea salt bath helps prevent the build-up of toxins within the body. This can help in easing any kind of stiffness and discomfort brought on by muscle fatigue as well as tension.
17. Eye Wash
A sea salt solution works well for reducing puffiness around your tired eyes. A sea salt compress helps with decreasing the dark circles as well as sagging bags underneath the eyes, whilst inducing a calming, stress-relieving effect.
18. Reduces Acidity
Sea salts works well for alkalizing the cells of the body simply by facilitating excretion of excessive acids by means of urination. This can help in maintaining the perfect acid-alkali ratio of the body. In case the pH value of the blood moves towards the acidic side, it may disturb all-natural, healthy balance of the body and might lead to long-term health conditions just like Alzheimer’s disease.
Sea salt is a superb replacement for lithium along with other drugs utilized to deal with depression. It doesn’t only include traces of lithium along with other essential minerals which help to relax the nervous system. It also helps you to maintain levels of serotonin as well as melatonin, that also help with keeping the body rested as well as relaxed.
20. Good for Respiratory System
For the healthy respiratory system you can certainly utilize sea salt within the diet. It reduces the inflammation in addition to all of the symptoms of asthma. It will help in thinning down the mucus and therefore allows you to inhale again.
21. Healing and Purifying Qualities
The electromagnetic force field which encompasses the body has a tendency to attract negative energies as well as impurities from the environment. These types of energies may influence the health as well as well-being of some people. Baths enriched along with sea salts have been considered to have purifying qualities. These people absorb such energies within themselves as well as reducing the body of those materials.
22. Controls Drool
Drooling at night is really a symbol of salt as well as water deficiency. Once the body lacks those 2 ingredients, then the saliva glands create more saliva in order to assist with the chewing, swallowing as well as digestion of foods.
23. Treats Diabetes
Sea salt works well for decreasing the levels of sugar within the blood and therefore makes sure that your problems of diabetes are not only seen treated but also you are prevented of the metabolic disorder in the case where you are vulnerable to it.
Approximately 1/4 of the amount of salt which is in the body is kept in the bones, where it will help to keep them strong. Once the body lacks salt and water it starts to draw the sodium from the bones, which in turn eventually can result in osteoporosis. Therefore by consuming lots of water and consuming salt moderately you are able to avoid osteoporosis.
25. Good for the Brain
Sea salt is important in helping to preserve electrolyte levels so that the brain can communicate better with the rest of the body. Additionally, it will help to eliminate harmful acids which settle round the brain. Therefore sea salt will help avoid memory loss as well as mental illnesses like Alzheimer’s disease.
26. Anti Spasmodic Properties
There are right quantities of potassium in sea salt which makes it perfect example of the anti spasmodic food. This can help in boosting the function of the muscle fibres. Additionally, it helps make the mineral absorption easy and efficient. This prevents the muscles healthy and free of spasms, cramps in addition to all kinds of pain.
27. Purifies Blood
As a natural blood purifier, sea salt has a great deal of benefits for the body. Vitamin C works well for elimination of the free radicals whereas the magnesium content works well for proper utilisation of the antioxidants. It detoxifies the cells within the body and therefore purifies the blood from dust in addition to all sorts of toxic materials.
28. For Longevity
Research indicates that low consumption of natural salt is related to shorter life expectancy. Japanese have got highest life expectancies in the world since they consume more natural salt. They also have a reduced likelihood of heart disease compared to almost every other developed countries.
29. Relieves Stress
Consumption of natural salt decreases the stress hormone level, cortisol in the body. This hormone cortisol is responsible for stress. This is one of the best health benefits of natural sea salt.
30. Helps With Digestion
Salt is important for the body to make sufficient digestive fluids so it can effectively digest the foods you eat. As a result it really helps to absorb more nutrition from the food. Additionally, it nourishes the development of friendly bacteria within the gut, which in return helps you to combat candida, parasites as well as other viral or fungal infections.
Furthermore, it will help to avoid a buildup along the intestinal wall, that eventually can result in constipation along with other digestive problems. Therefore you are able to avoid unwanted weight gain, and also lose more weight simply by adding sea salt in your diet.
Sea salt is great for reducing inflammation within your respiratory system, slowing down the creation of phlegm & letting you breathe easier. In accordance with many people sprinkling some sea salt on your tongue right after drinking a glass of water is really as effective as utilizing an inhaler.
32. Ease Muscle Tension
An indication of low magnesium is muscle tremors as well as twitching. Bromides ease muscle aches as well as pain by assisting to naturally repair the body. Water from the Dead Sea has got the greatest power of bromide compared to any other body of water. In addition to the bromide, potassium additionally performs a significant role in muscle contractions. An imbalance in potassium can frequently lead to water retention as well as moderate to serious muscle cramping seen after the hard workout in the club or perhaps a long day of perspiring in the summertime heat.
Sea salt is really a natural antihistamine, which could decrease the manufacture of phlegm in people who have problems with allergies and/or asthma. It will help to clear up the lungs as well as nasal blockage, which will help to make breathing less complicated.
Storing Sea Salt
Even though salt just isn’t perishable, you need to store it like it is. An air-tight container, ideally glass for storage. You might fill a ramekin or salt pig for usage in the kitchen area or even on the table yet keep the stash sealed up.
Recipe with Sea Salt
1. Oven-cooked chicken shawarma
- 12 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 100ml/3½fl oz olive oil
- 4 fat or 6 smaller garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 2 dried or fresh bay leaves
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- lettuce leaves, to serve
For the shawarma sauce
- 250g/9oz plain yoghurt
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 fat or 2 smaller garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- fat pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Take a big resealable freezer bag and place the chicken thighs in it. Utilizing a fine grater, ideally a microplane, grate within the lemon zest. Squeeze the lemons and add some juice. Pour within the olive oil and add the garlic, then add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Squish everything about together, then seal the bag, place it on the plate or perhaps in a dish, and refrigerate not less than 6 hours, or approximately 1 day.
- When you’re prepared to cook, preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas. Take away the chicken through the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Tip the contents of the freezer bag in a shallow roasting tin – mine measures 44x34x1.5cm/17x13x½in – and be sure all of the chicken thighs are lying flat and not on top of one another (if possible) just before roasting within the hot oven for 30 minutes, by which time they must be cooked through (though obviously you should check) and golden on top.
- When the chicken’s approximately cooked, make the sauce by just mixing the yoghurt together with the tahini and garlic, stir and also salt to taste, and sprinkle with some pomegranate seeds.
- Line a platter or perhaps a couple of plates along with crisp lettuce, shredded or torn into pieces, and then top together with the piping hot chicken, pouring the oily juices over them, unless you are, for many inexplicable reason, anti-oily-juices. In case you wished to make the chicken go further, you can cut the thighs into chunky slices instead of leaving them whole. And please do add any of the recommended accompaniments, itemized in my introduction.
2. Salmon, avocado, watercress and pumpkin seed salad
For the salmon
- 2 wild Alaskan salmon fillets (approximately 250g/9oz total)
- 2 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2½ tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
For the salad
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 100g/3½oz watercress
- 1 tsp organic cloudy apple cider vinegar
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes, or to taste
- Put the salmon fillets in a tiny frying pan and cover along with cold water from the tap. Add some spring onions and peppercorns, squeeze within the lime juice and sprinkle within the salt, then bring to the boil, uncovered. Once the pan is bubbling, turn the fillets over, then remove the pan through the heat and then leave to stand for 7 minutes. Then take the fillets out of the liquid and leave to cool totally, that could take up to 1 hour. As soon as cool, the salmon will probably be cooked through, using its flesh desirably tender as well as coral inside.
- While the salmon’s cooling, make a start on the salad. Toast the pumpkin seeds by tossing them in a dry, heavy-based frying pan on the hob. They’ll start jumping a little, and definately will darken and get a smokier taste. It doesn’t take very long to toast them, so don’t leave the pan and, indeed, keep giving it a fast swirl. Then transfer into a cold plate.
- When you’re prepared to unite salmon along with salad, place the watercress in to a large shallow bowl, sprinkle together with the vinegar, and toss. Now add the salmon, eliminating the skin and tearing the fish into bite-sized pieces or shreddy bits, as you like.
- Halve the avocado and take away the stone, then spoon the flesh out on the salmon and watercress, or cut it into slices if you like. Drizzle the oil within the salad, sprinkle together with the salt and half of the toasted pumpkin seeds, and toss gently to combine. Scatter the rest of the pumpkin seeds on the top, and eat.
3. Salted Caramel Cups
- 4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- coarse sea salt
- Place cupcake wrappers in muffin tins. (You could utilize mini cupcake wrappers as well as muffin tins and make two times as many caramel cups)
- Place chocolate chips in the microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half-power for 2 minutes. Take out and stir. Continue to cook on half-power for 20 seconds at a time, mixing in between each, till chocolate is smooth.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate into each cupcake liner. Don’t use all the chocolate, leave about ¼ of it in the bowl. Utilize a pasty brush to “paint” the melted chocolate onto he bottom of the cupcake wrapper, and round the sides (only go about ? of the way up the wrappers, not all the way to the top) Place muffin tin within the freezer.
- In another microwave safe bowl mix caramels and milk/heavy cream. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then stir. Continue to cook on high for 20 seconds at any given time, stirring in between each till smooth.
- Remove muffin tin from freezer. Pour caramel into chocolate cups til about ? full. Go back to the freezer for around 5 minutes.
- Remove muffin tin from freezer again. Use pastry brush to “paint” melted chocolate over the top of the caramel making certain to cover all the caramel. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Return to the freezer for around Half an hour.
- Remove muffin tin from freezer. Very carefully peel away the cupcake wrappers through the chocolate cups. Store chilled (in the fridge) or at room temperature in a airtight container.
4. Sea Salt Chocolate Cheesecake Truffles
Cheesecake Truffle Filling
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup, more as desired
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 tsp coarse Himalayan sea salt
- Soak cashews in water overnight
- In the morning, drain water as well as rinse cashews
- Transfer cashews to high-speed blender and add your sweetener and salt
- Blend till smooth (taste and add sweetness as desired)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or utilize a mini donut pan)
- Roll cheesecake filling into balls and put in donut pan or on parchment paper
- Place in freezer for Half an hour
- Once hardened, melt chocolate and carefully dip cheesecake balls into chocolate
- Set them on parchment paper; sprinkle with coarse sea salt and put in refrigerator
- Store in refrigerator or freezer
5. Salted Caramel Chocolate Pillows
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, thawed
- 14 Hershey Kisses of choice, (you can use different flavored Hershey Kisses)
- 1 egg white whisked with 1 Tbsp water
- 1 small jar Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel Topping
- Mediterranean Sea Salt
- Other optional toppings:
- 1 cup chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling before baking
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet along with parchment or spray with non-stick baking oil
- Roll out the pie crust on lightly floured counter top.
- Made 2 1/2 inch circles using a knife or even biscuit cutter
- Place one Hershey Kiss in every circle.
- Fold 1/2 of the pie dough within the Kiss and seal the pie dough.
- Pull the other half of the pie dough up forming a criss cross and pinch to close the edges.
- I got 16 pillow puffs by re-rolling all the scraps out.
- Brush each pillow puff together with the egg wash and after that sprinkle after some granulated sugar or Mediterranean salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for 15 to 20 minutes or till your pillow puffs are golden brown. Remove from oven, let it cool for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Drizzle with Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel topping and sprinkle along with Mediterranean Sea Salt. Serve and enjoy!
6. Salted Triple Caramel Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs, must be at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk (or even buttermilk, do not use skim milk or 1% milk)
Thick Salted Caramel Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) salted butter (or unsalted butter)
- 1 cup (200 grams) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups (240-360 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- additional pinch of salt, as needed
- salted caramel candies for decoration, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, plus a second pan with simply 2 liners. Fill empty cups halfway with water to avoid the pan from warping. Set aside.
- In a sizable bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In the separate medium bowl, beat the butter and sugars together at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until no flour remains, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed. Slowly stir within the milk. Do not overmix the batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner only 1/2 way full with batter. Bake cupcakes for 22-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the heart of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes cool just before frosting, about 1 hour.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, melt the butter in a tiny saucepan. Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Stir continuously over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. Allow to bubble for 3 full minutes, no more. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool, just about 15 minutes. Don’t place in the refrigerator to cool. Using a hand mixer at medium speed, beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, up until you reach desired consistency. Include a little heavy cream if you would like the frosting a little creamier or thinner. Add more salt if the frosting tastes too sweet. Frost cooled cupcakes and adorn with salted caramel candies. Cupcakes stay fresh in the airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature and 5 within the refrigerator.