|Yogurt Quick Facts|
|Origin||It was originated around 5000 BC.|
|Colors||White, light yellow|
|Major nutrients||Vitamin B-12 (31.25%)
Vitamin B2 (21.38%)
|Health benefits||Assist digestion, Type 2 diabetes, Treats colorectal cancer, Treats osteoporosis, Helps to lose weight|
|More facts about Yogurt|
The word yogurt is derived from the Turkish word ‘yog˘urmak’ which means to coagulate, thicken and curdle. Turks were the one who firstly used yogurt for the medicinal purpose to treat various symptoms and illness such as cramps and diarrhea.
Around 5000 BC, the yogurt was accidentally made when the animals which produce milk are domesticated firstly. The milk was placed in a vessel by a goat herder (shepherd) which suppresses some friendly bacteria. When he went to get back his milk he found that the milk turned into a thick consistency which has a tangy flavor. Then he found that if he leaves soured milk by adding more milk then the process could be repeated with identical results. This is how that yogurt was formed. Yogurt is also used as the beauty lotion or cleaning agent before 2000 B.C. Yogurt contains acidity which helps to eliminate the rust and dirt and clears the dead skin cells. For thousands of years, yogurt was used as a well-known food in the Middle East. It is considered as the staple food in the East European diet.
100 grams of yogurt contains 97 calories, 81.3 g of moisture, 9 g of protein, 5 g of total fat, 0.72 g of ash, 3.98 g of carbohydrate and 4 g of total sugars. It also covers 31.25% of Vitamin B12, 21.38% of Vitamin B2, 19.29% of phosphorus, 18% of protein, 17.64% of selenium, 14.29% of total fat, 10% of calcium, 6.62% of Vitamin B5, 4.85% of Vitamin B6, 4.73% of Zinc, 3.06% of carbohydrate, 3% of potassium, 2.75% of choline, 2.62% of magnesium, 2.33% of sodium, 1.92% of thiamine, 1.89% of copper, 1.30% of niacin and 1.25% of folate.
Health Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is packed with source of protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals and vitamins. It has various uses and creamy texture. Healthy bacteria are used for the fermentation of milk. It maintains the balance between bacteria (good and bad). Yogurt is also helpful for the lactose intolerant patients. It also maintains the overall health of the people.
- Assist digestion
Yogurt contains healthy bacteria which help to promote gut’s microflora that is the reason for the healthy digestive tract and digestion. It is essential for the gastrointestinal ailments such as IBS, diarrhea, constipation, colon cancer and intolerance of lactose. Yogurt has soothing properties that soothes the digestive problems.
- Type 2 diabetes
The study shows that the high intake of yogurt helps to lower the chances of Type 2 diabetes. It promotes digestion and nutrient absorption in the digestive tract which is vital for the regulation of blood sugar.
- Treats colorectal cancer
The study shows that the intake of yogurt prevents the chances of colorectal cancer. It is effective for the maintenance of digestive tract due to the presence of probiotics as well as healthy bacteria present in yogurt.
- Treats osteoporosis
It prevents the occurrence of osteoporosis due to the presence of Vitamin D and calcium. It is helpful for the skeletal health due to the sufficient presence of Vitamin D.
- Helps to lose weight
The study shows that yogurt helps to lose the fat. Those who took six ounce of yogurt for about 12 weeks, they effectively lose their fat along with weight. It showed the affection on the waist and belly region.
- Enhance immunity
Yogurt contains probiotics that enhance the gut and immune system by raising the production of cytokine cells in intestine. It prevents the chances of immune diseases in the children. It also prevents the chances of digestive problems causing bacteria.
- Lowers high blood pressure
Yogurt is a great source of potassium. The high intake of potassium helps to lower blood pressure effectively. It helps to lower the reabsorption of sodium that helps to reduce blood pressure and promote the health of heart. The daily intake of yogurt helps to maintain the blood pressure in the body.
- Lowers cholesterol
Yogurt contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus which helps to lower the level of cholesterol. The study shows that it helps to lower serum cholesterol by 2.4 percent. The daily consumption of yogurt helps to lower the chances of coronary heart disease by 6-10 percent.
- Maintains mood
The probiotics found on yogurt helps to maintain the health of gut which is associated with mood. The daily intakes of Yogurt assist to control emotions and lower anxiety. It was shown in the group who consumed yogurt (two servings) for about four weeks.
- Brain ailments
The probiotics helps to lower Parkinson’s, chronic pain and Alzheimer’s disease. The antibiotics eliminate the healthy bacteria along with harmful bacteria found in the guts. Due to this, it is recommended to eat the foods rich in probiotics.
Types of Yogurt
- Regular (dairy) yogurt
- Whole milk yogurt
It is the plain yogurt which contains fat from 6 to 8 grams in a cup. Some whole milk yogurt is also known as farm style which has a layer of yogurt cream on the top.
- Low-fat yogurt
This yogurt contains from 2-5 grams of yogurt per cup.
- Nonfat yogurt
It has below 0.5 percent of milk fat. It is less tangy.
- Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt is well known nowadays. It is the yogurt which is strained. Here the whey is eliminated that results a thick yogurt. The fruit preserves or sugar could be added.
- Whipped yogurt
It is the yogurt which has light consistency due to more air. It has low amount of calories with low calcium, nutrients and protein.
2. Other yogurts
- Goat’s milk yogurt
This yogurt has full flavor of gamy. Those who like goat cheese will be able to enjoy the yogurt of goat’s milk yogurt.
- Labneh (labne)
This yogurt is creamy and smooth and creamy. It is consumed by drizzling olive oil, chopped mint, which is often served with a pita bread.
- Sheep’s milk yogurt
Sheep’s milk yogurt has rich and creamy flavor. It also possess light gamy flavor.
- Soy yogurt
This yogurt is prepared from soy milk. The texture and consistency resembles dairy yogurt. It is found in various flavors with or without the presence of active cultures.
- Yoghurt enhances the digestion of lactose, absorption of minerals.
- It promotes digestion.
- Yogurt helps to prevent the bacterial and vaginal yeast infections.
- It is beneficial for those with lactose intolerance and also treats the high cholesterol.
- It prevents sunburn and colorectal cancer.
- It is not effective for the weak immune patients.
- The people with health ailments should consult health professional.
- It should not be used by the patients of dosha.
How to Eat
- Yogurt could be consumed plain.
- It could be added to vegetables and fruits or sweeteners.
- It helps to enhance the flavor of refreshing drink.
- Toss plain yogurt, cooked eggplant, garlic, chopped mint leaves and cayenne.
- The chopped cucumber could be mixed with plain yogurt.
- Yogurt could be used as a dressing for salads.
- Granola or cold cereal could be mixed with yogurt.
- The yogurt rice could be made as the last dish.
- Yogurt is also used as an ingredient for making cream and butter.
- The South Asian people use raita as a side dish which is made from yogurt.
- Cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, mint is used to season the yogurt
- Yogurt is also mixed with beaten rice.
- In Bangladesh, spicy yogurt drink is made which is known as Borhani.
- In Punjab, Lassi is made from yogurt.
- It could be made into smoothies.
- Yogurt soup could be made by combining flour, rice, yogurt and dried mint.
- The pancakes could be topped with sliced strawberries and yogurt.
- The raw vegetables could be dipped into plain yogurt.
- Yogurt was originated thousands years before in Asia and Eastern Europe.
- In 20th century, yogurt was well known in other parts of the world.
- Yogurt is used as an ingredient in various dishes.
- Yogurt has high content of protein which is essential for the maintenance of bone and muscle health.
- Turkey and France is regarded as the countries which highly consume yogurt.
- Americans usually eat yogurt for the breakfast.