|Bamboo Mushrooms Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Phallus indusiatus|
|Scientific Name||Phallus indusiatus|
|Common/English Name||Long Net Stinkhorn, Bamboo mushrooms, Bamboo pith, Crinoline stinkhorn, Veiled lady|
|Name in Other Languages||English: Bamboo fungus, Long net Stinkhorn, Bamboo pith, Stinkhorn Basket, Crinoline Stinkhorn, Veiled lady and Bridal veil lady;
Chinese: Bamboo mushroom;
Thailand and Laos: Rang hae kra pong yao;
Chinese: Zhúsǔn jūn (竹笋菌), Cháng qún zhú sūn/cháng qún zhú sūn (長裙竹蓀/长裙竹荪), Zhú shēng (竹笙), Zhú cān (竹参)，Miànshā jūn (面紗菌), Wǎng shā jūn (網紗菌), Zhú gūniáng (竹姑娘), Zhú jūn (竹菌), Zhúsōng (竹松), Zhú è (竹萼), Zhú jī (竹鸡);
Japanese: Kinugasadake/ kinugasatake (衣笠茸/キヌガサタケ);
Thai: H̄ĕd r̀āngh̄æ (เห็ดร่างแห);
Igbo: éró ḿma;
|Mature mushroom||25 cm (9.8 in) tall|
|Cap||Conical to bell-shaped, 1.5–4 cm (0.6–1.6 in) wide|
|Stalk||7–25 cm (2.8–9.8 in) long and 1.5–3 cm (0.6–1.2 in) thick|
|Spores||2.5-3.2 x 1-1.4 µm|
|Spore mass||Olive green to dull green, slimy, foul-smelling|
|Volva||Whitish, tough, and wrinkled|
Immature fruit bodies are enclosed in an egg shaped to roughly spherical subterranean structure encased in a peridium. Eggs are whitish to buff to reddish-brown measures 6 cm in diameter and usually has thick mycelialo cord attached at the bottom. The mature mushroom is 25 cm tall girded with net like structure known as indusium which hangs down from the conical to bell-shaped cap. The netlike openings of indusium are polygonal or round in shape. The cap is 1.5–4 cm (0.6–1.6 in) wide and reticulated surface is covered with a layer of greenish to brown and foul smelling slime. Stalk is 7–25 cm (2.8–9.8 in) long and 1.5–3 cm (0.6–1.2 in) thick. Stalk is white and roughly equal in width throughout its length and sometimes curved and spongy. Fruit bodies develop during night and needs 10 to 15 hours to develop fully after emerging from the peridium. Spores are smooth, thin walled, elliptical or slightly curved, translucent and measures 2–3 by 1–1.5 μm.
The body of immature fruit is white to pink tinged and gelatinous egg like sac to 30 mm round or ovoid which is strongly attached to soil by thick strands. An egg like sac split to release the rapidly expanding receptacle and leaves a volva at the base.
Stipe is smooth, white, spongy, hollow and measures 200 mm high and to 20 mm diameter.
Cap is conical, white, ridged, pitted with hole in tip and measures 40 mm high and to 30 mm diameter. Surface forms net like patterns which are covered by gleba at first.
- It can be used for treating inflammation, neurological and stomach diseases.
- South China’s Miao community uses it for pain, injury, dysentery, cough, weakness, leukemia and colitis.
- It is used for fever, sore throat, diarrhea, cough, hypertension and hyperlipidemia.
- Consume it as vegetable.
- It is used as an ingredient in Chinese haute cuisine.
- Use it in stir-frys and chicken soups.
- Use it as toppings for salads, soups and add it to sausages and pickled items.
- Stuff it with tofu and veggies.
- Bamboo mushroom grows on bamboo plants.
- When dried, it resembles loofah sponges.
- It contains essential amino acids and multiple vitamins which makes it medical valued food.