Use any type of clams for this emphatic, quickly prepared dish. It’s worth hunting for Thai basil (horapa), as it makes a definite difference to the flavor of the clams.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs (1 kg) clams in their shells, soaked and cleaned well
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-3 red finger-length chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons Shrimp Chili Paste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) Thai Chicken Stock
- Large handful of Thai basil leaves (horrpar)
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat, add the clams and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the clams open slightly. Add the sliced chilies, Shrimp Chili Paste and soy sauce, stir well, then add the Chicken Stock. Simmer for 5 minutes. Scoop out the clams and leave the stock in the wok to simmer on high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the basil and pour the sauce over the clams.
- Serve immediately, accompanied by rice.