This is an exquisite way to prepare white fish fillets like cod, seabass or snapper. For maximum flavor, begin preparing this dish 3 days in advance.
- 1-1½ lbs (500-750 g) cod or seabass fillets
- 1½ cups (300 g) white miso
- 1/3 cup (85 ml) sake
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mirin, for basting
- 4 oz (125 g) daikon radish (about 2 in/5 cm), freshly grated
- 4 pieces pickled daikon, to serve
- Soy sauce, to serve
How to Make It
- Cut the fish into four serving pieces. Combine the miso, sake, sugar and ground red pepper (if using) in a bowl. Add the fish fillets and rub the marinade into the fish so that they are well coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- Remove the fillets and scrape off the miso. Cut a shallow cross on the surface of each fillet and broil under low heat for about 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Brush the fillets with mirin each time you turn them over to add a shiny glaze to the fish, Serve immediately with the grated or pickled daikon and soy sauce on the side.