Taking its name from the ubiquitous Banoffee Pie, which has a biscuit base topped with banana slices, toffee (or boiled condensed milk) and heaps of whipped cream, this ice cream is always a winner with children. Delicious vanilla ice cream with ripples of boiled condensed milk, crunchy biscuits and caramelised bananas; too good not to be shared with the adults!
- Yield: 8 to 10 Servings
- 14 oz (1 x 400 g) tin of full-fat condensed milk
- 3 oz (75 g) butter
- 3 oz (75 g) caster or granulated sugar
- 4 bananas, cut in quarters lengthways, then sliced
- 12 digestive biscuits, broken into pieces
- 4 egg yolks
- 3½ oz (100 g) caster or granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) softly whipped cream (measured when whisked)
- Boil the unopened tin of condensed milk in a large saucepan for 2½ hours, topping up the water from time to time, then remove from the heat and allow the tin to cool in the water.
- To make the ice cream, place the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Combine the sugar and 250 ml (9 fl oz) water in a small saucepan, then stir over a medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the spoon and boil the syrup until it reaches the ‘thread’ stage, 106–113°C (223–235°F). It will look thick and syrupy and when a metal spoon is dipped in, the last drops of syrup will form thin threads. Pour this boiling syrup in a steady stream onto the egg yolks, whisking all the time. Add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until it becomes a thick, creamy white mousse. Fold in the softly whipped cream, place in a container, cover and place in the freezer for an hour.
- Place the butter and sugar in a pan on a medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the bananas and continue to bubble for a few minutes until the sugar browns and caramelises. Then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer, fold in the broken biscuits and toffee bananas, then add the boiled condensed milk in ½ teaspoon amounts, continuing to mix and fold.
- Return to the freezer and allow to freeze for about 3–4 hours until frozen all through.