- Yield: 6 Servings
- ½ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chicken, about 4 pounds (2 kg), cut into serving pieces
- 2 large red onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and soaked in vinegar
- 2 cups chopped canned plum tomatoes or grated fresh tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- In a large stewing pot or Dutch oven, heat half the olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, brown the chicken, turning with kitchen tongs to brown on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, and drain off all but 3 tablespoons of fat. Add the onions and garlic. Stir until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Place the chicken back in the pot.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Add enough water so that the liquid in the pot comes about halfway up its contents. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken and okra are tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and serve.