This recipe comes Kalimantan, where it is usually made with free-range or kampung chickens. The sour tomatoes and lemon juice makes a delicious counterpoint to the sweet spiciness of the special sambal served.
- 1 fresh free-range chicken (2¼ l bs/1 kg), cleaned and cut into serving pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 3-4 red finger-length chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 8-10 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 4 unripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 sprig Asian basil
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced
- ½ in (1 cm) fresh ginger, sliced Fragrant Chili Sambal
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 3-4 red finger-length chilies, deseeded
- 5-6 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shaved palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi), dry-roasted
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, bruised
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ in (1 cm) fresh galangal, peeled and sliced
- 2 salam leaf
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Juice
How to Make It
- Season the chicken pieces with the salt and lime or lemon juice, then set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Make the Fragrant Chili Sambal by grinding the first 7 ingredients to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding a little oil if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat and stir-fry the ground paste with with salam leaf, lemongrass and galangal until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the Tamarind Juice and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Discard the salam leaf, lemongrass and galangal.
- Bring the water to a boil in a wok or large saucepan. Add the marinated chicken and simmer uncovered over medium heat until the chicken is just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add all the other ingredients, mix well and cook for 15 more minutes before removing from the heat. Serve immediately with a serving bowl of Fragrant Chili Sambal on the side or serve mixed with the Fragrant Chili Sambal.