Coconut candy ball is a sweet, chewy, coconut snack. Made of chopped or grated coconut, this 4-ingredient treat is loved by adults and children across west Africa. Nigerians call it “Shuku Shuku” whilst the Ghanaians call it “Kube cake”.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 medium coconut
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- ¼ cup water
How to Make It
- Crack open coconut and remove coconut meat from shell (May buy de-shelled coconut meat to avoid this process).
- Chop the coconut meat into smaller pieces.
- Add coconut meat to a food processor with an s-blade.
- Turn on the food processor to chop coconut meat into even smaller tiny pieces.
- Place a small pot on a hob with medium heat.
- Add water, sugar and lemon juice and stir.
- Continue to stir until all sugar is dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil and leave to continue to boil for approx. 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken up.
- Add coconut meat and stir into caramel mixture
- Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for approx. 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the hob and leave to cool for approx. 5 minutes or more if too hot to mould.
- Use a spoon to scoop out some coconut candy mixture and use clean hands to mould into a ball shape then place on a cooling mat (repeat this until all coconut mixture is finished).
- Serve as snacks after cooling.