These juicy burgers are made with a coffee spiced rub and smothered in a zest Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce every picky eater will love.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
For the Seasoning
- 1½ Tablespoons of ground coffee
- ½ Tablespoons of salt
- ½ Tablespoons of smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoons of light brown sugar
- ½ Tablespoons of black pepper
- ½ Tablespoons of powdered onion
- ½ Tablespoons of powdered garlic
- ¼ Tablespoons of powdered coriander
For the Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- ½ of a yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup of ketchup
- 1½ Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 6 ounces of Dr. Pepper
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2½ Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of powdered ancho chile
- ½ teaspoons of salt
- ¼ teaspoons of black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of coffee, freshly brewed
For the Burgers
- 2 pounds of angus ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons of the barbecue sauce
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- 4 pretzel buns, for serving
- Arugula, for serving
- 8 slices of peppered bacon
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
How to Make It
- Prepare the seasoning. In a bowl, add in all of the ingredients for the seasoning. Stir well to mix. Set this mix aside.
- Prepare the sauce. In a saucepan set over medium heat, add in the butter. Once melted, add in the onion and minced garlic. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Add in the ketchup, tomato paste. Dr. Pepper, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, light brown sugar, powdered ancho chile and brewed coffee. Season with a dash of salt and black pepper. Stir well to mix and allow to come to a boil. Lower the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until thick in consistency.
- Pour the sauce into the blender. Blend on the highest setting until smooth in consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the burgers. In a bowl, add in the ground beef and 2 tablespoons of the prepared sauce. Season with a dash of salt and black pepper. Stir well until evenly mixed. Divide into 4 patties that are ½ a pound in weight.
- Rub the seasoning mix over the patties.
- In a skillet set over medium to high heat, add in 1 tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add in the pretzel buns. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Transfer onto a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add in the burgers. Cook for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to your desired doneness. Transfer onto the burger buns.
- Spread the remaining barbecue sauce over the top.
- Top off the burgers with the arugula, peppered bacon and top buns. Serve immediately.