- ¾ in (2 cm) ginger, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons mustard or vegetable oil 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 green finger-length chilies, deseeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (250 ml) thick coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional) Minced coriander leaves (cilantro)
How to Make It
- Place the ginger, garlic and cumin in a blender or food processor and grind to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom for 1 to 2minutes until fragrant. Add the onion and stir-fry gently for 5minutes before adding the green chilies and the ginger paste. Continue stirring for another 2 minutes. Add the salt and water.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, then place the shrimp in the wok and simmer for another 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are tender. Stir in the sugar, if using, and serve sprinkled with coriander leaves.