- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- 6 large russet potatoes
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, sliced
- ½ cup all- purpose flour
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Salt and pepper
How to Make It
- Boil the potatoes in water to cover in a large pot until they are easily pierced with a fork. Cool and peel. Cut into bitesized chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir until the butter is absorbed; do not brown. Add the cold milk, stirring briskly with a whisk so the flour does not lump. Add the cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes; mix well.
- Spoon into a 13 × 9- inch casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes.