This nutritious and supremely tasty lentil shepherd’s pie is perfect for any night of the week. A great alternative to traditional meat versions that will satisfy even the most ardent carnivores!
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 (optional) onions finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 16 oz (450 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2½ cups (625 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 125 g of flat mushrooms diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (185 g) red split lentils
- 750 g Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
- ½ cup (50 g) cheddar cheese (grated)
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the optional onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots for 10 mins until tender on a medium heat.
- Now add in the lentils and stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf and 1 cup of stock and bring to the boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 30 mins until the lentils are soft and the liquid has thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C (430F), then place the sweet potato in a pan of boiling water. Boil until soft for approximately 15 mins. Thoroughly drain and mash the potatoes.
- Now transfer the lentil mixture to a oven proof dish and top with the mashed sweet potato. Sprinkle with cheese and cook in the oven for approximately 20 mins. Serve immediately.