- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- Total Time: 1 Hour 55 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-to 32-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
- Fresh oregano, for garnish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot, then stir in onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in beef, breaking up lumps with a spatula and cook, until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and oregano, and boil, breaking up tomatoes with a spatula until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove sauce from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup sauce in bottom of prepared dish; top with 3 noodles and another layer of sauce. Add 3 noodles and top evenly with sauce. Dollop half of ricotta and half of mozzarella evenly over sauce. Top with another layer of 3 noodles, then sauce, then remaining 3 noodles and sauce. Top with remaining ricotta and mozzarella.
- Cover dish with foil and bake until filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until cheese is browned in places, about 30 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano.