I have to confess that I have a weakness for the occasional biscuit and these are so easy to make. Yes, they do contain butter and quite a lot of maple syrup but if you just have one at a time they shouldn’t break your calorie budget.
- Yield: 30
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
How to Make It
- Melt the butter in a small pan and pour it into a bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir to combine. If the butter is still warm, leave it to cool until tepid.
- Put the flour in a separate bowl with the cocoa powder, desiccated coconut, baking powder and a large pinch of salt. Add the butter and maple syrup mixture to the dry ingredients along with the chocolate and mix well to make a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and put it in the fridge to chill for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Divide the mixture into 30 equal-sized balls. Squash each ball into a 6.5 cm cookie cutter and place the biscuits on the baking trays. Bake them for 18–20 minutes until they start to crisp round the edges – you can’t really tell by colour because of the cocoa. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool.