Add a little Mexican twist to suppertime (or to breakfast, for that matter, if you’re looking for something substantial). Eggs are a prime Fast Day food, and this way of serving them is a welcome break from the usual suspects.
- Yield: 1 Serving
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup/200 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and sauté the scallions, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and vinegar. Season, stir, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make two dips in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Continue cooking until the whites have begun to set, then cover and cook until they are completely set, but the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.