Kelewele is a popular Ghanaian street-food, usually sold by street vendors but also served as an appetiser at parties. The main ingredient is plantain and it is usually seasoned with garlic powder and chilli powder before being deep fried.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning powder of choice or equivalent
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
How to Make It
- Peel plantain and cut into small dices.
- Drizzle tablespoon of vegetable oil over plantain and mix together (this allows dry ingredients to stick better).
- In a bowl, add ginger powder, chilli powder, seasoning powder, salt and garlic powder. Mix together.
- Add plantain dices to the powder mix and mix together.
- Add vegetable oil to frying pan and place pan on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot (approx. 2 minutes), add plantain to oil, a few at a time.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides (2 - 4 minutes).
- Remove plantain from oil and place in a bowl lined with a kitchen towel to drain oil.
- Repeat steps 6 – 8 until all plantain has been fried.
- Serve as an appetiser or as a side with the main meal.