- Yield: 2 Servings
- 150 g Mac and cheese chilled (as much as you can pack into two 8 cm (3 in) cutters)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) plant-based milk
- 5 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 buns, cut in half
- Vegan mayo
- Tomato, BBQ or sriracha sauce
- Rainbow slaw
- Avocado or tomato slices
- Onion slices
- Lettuce leaves
How to Make It
- Pack the mac and cheese into 2 cookie cutters, place on a plate and leave in the fridge to set for 2 hours.
- Put the flour, milk and breadcrumbs into three separate plates. Press the pasta patty in the flour on both sides, then brush with the milk and press the patty into the breadcrumbs to coat all over.
- Fill a small pan with the vegetable oil and place over a medium heat (to check the oil is hot enough sprinkle in a few breadcrumbs – they should fizz and bubble).
- Lower the patties carefully into the hot oil, one at a time, and fry for 3–5 minutes until golden brown all over. Remove with a slotted spatula and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Spread your preferred sauce or mayo over the base bun, then add the mac and cheese patty and top with anything you like – slaw, avocado or tomato slices, onions, gherkins, lettuce, etc.