- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups of milk
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 packet dry macaroni pasta
- Optional 1 cup of chopped meat ham, bacon, pre-cooked sausages sliced, left over chicken
- Optional 1 cup of chopped broccoli or any other vegetable
How to Make It
- Put macaroni into a large pot and cover with water and boil until soft. Drain in a colander and pour into a large baking dish. Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat add chopped onion and cook until soft. Stir in flour and cook until frothy. Add mustard.
- Stir in milk until sauce thickens. Remove from heat season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir through also add meat or vegetables if you want these. Pour over macaroni and bake at 150 C for 20 minutes until golden and heated through. Serves 4 – 6. Eat as is or with fresh vegetables or salad.