- Yield: 1 drink
- 1 lime
- ½ grapefruit
- ½ orange
- 2/3 cup [130 g] sugar
- One 1-in [2.5 cm] piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 Tbsp [45 ml] moonshine (vodka or rum would be a fine substitute)
- 2 Tbsp [30 ml] pomegranate juice
How to Make It
- Use a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife to remove 1 wide strip of peel each from the lime, grapefruit, and orange, avoiding the bitter white pith. Set the peels aside. Juice all three fruits over a medium bowl, and set the juice aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, 2 cups [480 ml] of water, and the ginger. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add, along with the pod. Add the strips of citrus zest to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture has reduced and thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate or freeze until the syrup cools to room temperature (about 30 minutes in the refrigerator), and strain out the solids. Store, refrigerated, for up to 1 month.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the citrus juices, 1/3 cup [80 ml] of the syrup, the moonshine, and the pomegranate juice. Shake until very cold and well blended, and strain into a coupe glass, highball glass, or mason jar.