This is prime-time winter. It features winter squash that’s roasted with oil and honey so it gets a little caramelly (it’s a bonus that you don’t actually have to peel the squash for this recipe), and hearty greens that are a super-strong foil for the sweet squash and pear.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 cups torn and toasted bread
- 1 recipe Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 recipe Honey-Roasted Squash
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced pear (you choose what kind)
- 2 cups hearty greens, such dandelion greens, thinly sliced kale, or sturdy spinach
- ½ cup shaved Parmigiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cranks black pepper
Soften the Bread
- In a large bowl, toss the bread bits with about half of the vinaigrette and let them sit for a minute or two to soften slightly. Put it Together and Serve
- Add the squash, onion, pear, greens, cheese, salt, and pepper to the bread and give the salad a good but gentle toss, being careful not to break up the squash too much. Taste and, if desired, add the remaining vinaigrette and toss again or serve the dressing on the side.