This autumnal salad uses the whole beet the sweet and earthy bulb roasted with rosemary and the mild, supernutritious greens. Manchego, a sheep’s milk cheese from Spain, contributes a buttery texture and tanginess to the mix. Serve with some hearty multigrain country bread to round out the meal.
- Yield: 4 Servings (1½-cup)
- 2 pounds fresh beets with tops
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese or ricotta salata, sliced
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut tops from beets; set tops aside. Place beets and rosemary on a piece of heavy foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bring up two opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Fold in remaining edges to completely enclose. Roast beets in packet about 55 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Carefully open packet to release steam. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel skins from beets and cut into wedges. Discard rosemary.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash and dry beet greens. Thinly slice beet greens, discarding stalks.
- In a large bowl gently toss together warm beets, shredded beet greens, and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil until greens are slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a large platter or 4 salad plates arrange beet mixture. Sprinkle with raisins and nuts. Top with cheese. If desired, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.