This salad looks just as good as it tastes! The beetroot can be cooked the night before and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 60 g pearl couscous
- Oil spray
- 170 g salmon fillet, skin removed and deboned
- 10 g walnuts
- 60 g reduced-salt low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
Beetroot, Fennel & Orange Salad
- 2 small beetroots
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large handful rocket leaves
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan/gas 4).
- Wrap the beetroot in foil with 4 teaspoons of water (this helps the beetroot to steam). Place in a small roasting pan and bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes or until tender. Test the beetroot with a skewer – it is cooked if a skewer pierces the flesh easily. Set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice the beetroot.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Stir in the pearl couscous and simmer over medium heat for 10–12 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the oranges over a medium bowl to catch the juice. Slice the oranges or cut into segments. Squeeze the remaining orange membrane to extract any extra juice into the bowl and set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard and reserved orange juice together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray lightly with oil spray. Add the salmon and cook for 5–6 minutes or until cooked to your liking, turning occasionally. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest for 2 minutes. Slice the salmon into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the beetroot, orange segments, fennel and rocket in a mixing bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss gently to combine.
- To serve, place the pearl couscous on two serving plates. Top with the beetroot, fennel and orange salad and salmon. Sprinkle over the walnuts, feta, dill and chives.