Lobster may somehow have gotten the reputation of being the gourmet crustacean, but for versatility and inherent nobility, the crab is the aristocrat. Here the restrained accents of basil and mint work in tandem to bring out the character of the crab.
- 2 pounds fresh lump crabmeat, picked over to remove all cartilage
- 2 cups diced peeled hothouse (seedless) cucumber (¼-inch dice)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely slivered fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Mango and Mint Salsa, for serving
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, for garnish
- 8 sprigs fresh mint or basil, for garnish
- Combine the crabmeat and cucumber in a bowl. Add the lime juice and olive oil and carefully toss together. Add the slivered basil and salt and pepper and combine gently, trying not to break up the crabmeat.
- Mound the crabmeat mixture on eight plates. Top each serving with ¼ cup of the Mango and Mint Salsa. Sprinkle with the chopped mint and place a sprig mint alongside each salad.