This simple but tasty appetizer is served at room temperature.`
- 10 oz (300 g) spinach, washed and left whole, thick stems removed
- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Basic Dashi Stock
- Nori strips, to wrap
- ½ Thin nori strips, to garnish
How to Make It
- Bring the water and salt to a boil. Lightly blanch the spinach leaves until they are soft but not soggy. Drain in a colander and cool under running water. Drain again, pressing on the spinach with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon to remove excess water. Lay the spinach on a bamboo rolling mat and roll up tightly to squeeze out any remaining moisture and shape into a roll. Dry-roast the sesame seeds in a skillet until light golden brown, stirring constantly. Take care not to burn the seeds as this would make them taste bitter.
- Grind, using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, to a coarse, grainy paste. Add the sugar and dashi stock to smoothen the mixture into a creamy paste.
- Just before serving, slice the rolled spinach into short sections Wrap the nori strip around each section like a belt, top with a little sesame sauce and sprinkle with the shredded nori.