Inspired by the original suya pepper mix, this recipe is one of the more modern ones. Suya pepper mix has often been limited to a spice for meat or fish but this recipe experiments with the suya flavour on onion rings.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 large onions
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup groundnut
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons seasoning powder
- ¼ cup plain flour
How to Make It
- Peel and slice onions horizontally about 1 cm apart into circles.
- Add groundnut and ¾ cup of water to a blender then blend to form a thick paste.
- Transfer groundnut paste to a bowl then add seasoning cube/powder.
- Add ginger powder, garlic powder, chilli powder, cayenne pepper and flour to groundnut paste and mix together.
- Dip an onion slice into groundnut mix and smother the onion until all areas are coated.
- Place coated onion ring in the plate of breadcrumbs and make sure the onion ring is coated in breadcrumbs.
- Place a deep, frying pan on medium heat and add oil.
- After the oil is heated up, add the coated onion rings and leave to fry for approx. 3 - 4 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve with some yam chips as a light snack.