- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 55 Minutes
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup quick-cooking, whole-grain bulgur
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced dill fronds
- 1½ tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
How to Make It
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the scallions and stir them around until wilted, about 1 minute. Pour in the lentils and bulgur. Stir over the heat for another minute.
- Add everything else: the broth, water, dill, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a full simmer.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer slowly until somewhat thickened and concentrated, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing’s sticking. Fish out and discard the bay leaf before serving.