This is filling, nourishing, full of fibre and protein the ideal lunch on a busy day. Love it. Canned beans are fine but you could also cook up a big batch of dried beans when you have time and keep them in the freezer for making quick salads like this one. You’ll find sunblush tomatoes in the supermarket, either on the deli counter or in little tubs. Yum, yum, yum.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 red onion, very finely sliced
- 100 g rocket leaves, roughly chopped
- 400 g cans of cannellini beans, drained
- 50 g black olives, pitted
- 25 g capers, rinsed
- 160 g can of tuna in spring water
- 50 g sunblush tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- a few basil and parsley leaves, to garnish
- Soak the onion slices in iced water for 10 minutes, then drain them this removes any bitterness.
- Put the rocket, beans, olives and capers in a bowl. Drain the water from the can of tuna into a separate bowl, then flake the tuna into the beans. Add the drained onion slices and half the sunblush tomatoes.
- Put the remaining tomatoes in a food processor with a tablespoon of olive oil (some of the oil from the sunblush tomatoes is fine), the garlic, balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of the water from the tuna. Blitz to make a dressing, adding a little more water if it’s too thick, then drizzle this over the salad ingredients. Stir to combine and garnish with the basil and parsley leaves.
- If you’re taking this salad as a packed lunch, take the dressing in a separate pot and add it just before eating.