I adore my toaster oven! I often use it to make simple desserts like this.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 12 Minutes
Simple Vanilla Ice Cream
- ½ cup heavy cream (or coconut cream if dairy-free)
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener, or more as desired
- 1 vanilla bean seeds scraped (about 8 inches long), or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons melted (but not hot) ghee or unsalted butter (or butter-flavored coconut oil if dairy-free), plus extra for greasing the pans
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon cherry extract
How to Make It
- To make the ice cream, place all the ingredients for the ice cream in a blender and puree for 1 minute or until frothy. Place in an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer while you make the cake and glaze. (Note: The ice cream can be made ahead and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.)
- To make the cakes, preheat the oven or toaster oven to 325°F. Grease 2 wells of a standard-size muffin pan or two 4-ounce ramekins.
- Place the almond flour, powdered sweetener (if using powdered), cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine well. Add the melted ghee, egg, cherry extract, and liquid sweetener (if using liquid) and stir until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 10 to 13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan. While the Cake is Baking, Make the Cherry Glaze
- Place the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stirring often, heat until the butter foams up and brown (but not black!) flecks appear. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit. (If using coconut oil, simply heat the oil until melted.) Add the sweetener and 1 teaspoon of cherry extract to the browned butter (or coconut oil). Taste and add more sweetener or extract, if desired.
- To assemble the dessert, remove the ice cream from the freezer. (If you made the ice cream ahead of time and it’s frozen solid, allow it to soften for 15 to 25 minutes.) Slice a cake into 4 wedges and arrange them in a serving bowl. Scoop half of the ice cream into the bowl, then drizzle half of the cherry glaze over the ice cream. Repeat with the other cake and remaining ice cream and glaze.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.