Very little work involved in this but you do need to allow some time for the marinade to work its magic. I love to serve these skewers with the Mediterranean vegetables on here to make a meal that feels like a summer holiday. The mint and yoghurt sauce on here is good with this too.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Put the lemon zest and juice, herbs and garlic into a bowl that’s large enough to hold the chicken and stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the marinade. Turn the chicken so it’s all coated in the marinade, then cover the bowl with cling film and leave it in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight – no longer.
- An hour before you’re ready to cook the chicken, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come up to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
- Thread the pieces of chicken on to 8 skewers, interspersing them with wedges of onion and pepper, then put the skewers on a baking tray. Brush the onion and pepper with any remaining marinade.
- Bake the chicken skewers in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly charred and cooked through, turning them over once or twice, Alternatively, cook them on a barbecue or a griddle. Serve the chicken skewers with lemon wedges to squeeze over them.