This is such an easy way of serving up loads of my favourite veggies. Although it doesn’t take long to put together it does take a while to cook, but once it’s in the oven you can forget about it. Perfect with the chicken skewers on here or as a vegetarian dish with salad and perhaps some couscous.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 600 g floury potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 large aubergine, halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 peppers (any colour or a mixture), deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 large courgettes, sliced into rounds
- 600 g tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- small bunch of basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Put the potatoes, aubergine, red onions, peppers and courgettes in a large ovenproof dish or a roasting tin.
- Add the tomatoes and mix thoroughly, then sprinkle over the garlic and oregano. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover the dish with foil and bake the vegetables for 1 hour.
- Mix the red wine vinegar with 100 ml of water. Remove the dish of vegetables from the oven, take off the foil and pour over the vinegar and water mixture – don’t stir or you might break up the vegetables.
- Put the dish back in the oven, uncovered, for another 30 minutes until everything is tender and starting to brown lightly. Garnish with the basil leaves and serve hot or at room temperature.