This pasta dish is an easy and delicious way to get plenty of green vegetables—and thus plenty of fiber and antioxidants—into your diet.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped pinch of sea salt
- 4 small zucchini, 2 diced and 2 coarsely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, trimmed and stalks cut crosswise into thirds
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 finely grated lemon zest
- 12 oz (350 g) dried penne
- handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- finely grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
For a Gluten-free Option
- use gluten-free pasta
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add all the zucchini and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have cooked down and softened. Do not allow them to brown.
- Stir in the garlic and asparagus. Add the wine, increase the heat, and allow to bubble for 2–3 minutes. Return to a simmer. Cook for 2–3 minutes, until the asparagus is tender, then stir in the capers and lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as the package directs. Drain, reserving a small amount of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss together with the reserved cooking water. Add the vegetable mixture and parsley, and toss again. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.