This traditional French dish is often made with canned peas when fresh tender baby peas are not available.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 9 oz (250 g) pearl onions
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 lb 2 oz (500 g) shelled peas or frozen young peas
- ½ cup ham stock or water
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint or flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lettuce hearts, such as Little Gem, trimmed and finely shredded
For a Gluten-free option
- use water instead of ham stock
- use gluten-free flour
How to Make It
- Put the onions in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Drain, and remove the skins, keeping the roots intact.
- Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and stock and bring to a boil. Skim off any sediment, then add the sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 5–8 minutes.
- Mix the remaining butter to a smooth paste with the flour. Gradually add this mixture to the peas, stirring to thicken the sauce. Stir continuously until it has been completely incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Stir in the mint or parsley and the shredded lettuce hearts, transfer to a serving dish, and serve immediately.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.