Jerk chicken is one of my signature recipes. The spices that are used to create this flavorful dish originated in the Caribbean and can be traced back to slavery times. Jerk seasoning also is delicious on fish or pork. Make extra portions of the chicken to serve as a main course or to use in wraps or sandwiches.
Adding fruit to this salad provides a hint of sweetness to cool down the spiciness of the chicken, as well as lots of nutrients. Figs are rich in fiber and are a good source of potassium, calcium, and manganese. They’re also a good source of polyphenols, plant-based chemicals that help fight heart disease and cancer.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ¼ cup no-sugar-added apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons stevia granulated sweetener or agave syrup 2 to 3 tablespoons habanero hot sauce (or your preference)
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, including green parts, chopped
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 (3- to 6-ounce) bag prewashed mixed salad greens
- 1½ cups chopped or shredded radicchio
- 8 figs, quartered, or 12 green or purple seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks in natural juices
- 4 tablespoons Tropical Fruit Dressing
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- To make the marinade, mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.
- Spray the chicken with the olive oil cooking spray. Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag. Pour the jerk seasoning marinade over the chicken and press and shake the bag until all the pieces are thoroughly coated. Press out any air, seal the bag, and place it in a baking pan to prevent leaks. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Discard the marinade and allow the chicken to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Spray a large skillet with the olive oil cooking spray and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook the chicken for about 6 minutes, on each side, or until browned and no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the skillet, and let it rest for 6 to 7 minutes. Thinly slice each chicken breast.
- Toss together the greens, radicchio, figs or grapes, and pineapple. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Arrange the warm chicken slices on top of each salad. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of the tropical fruit dressing. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.