Aronia Berry possesses bitter when it gets ripened. These berries are used for baking, juicing and to make jellies. The buses of Aronia berry are indigenous to Aronia berry bushes. It prefers Hardiness Zones from 3-8. In the early 1900s, this plant got introduced to Eastern Europe and Russia. Today, it has gained wide popularity and is grown widely. It is mostly cultivated for its edible berries which provide various amounts of nutrients.
||Eastern North America
||Black chokeberry, Chokeberry, Apfelbeer, svartaronia, kahle Apfelbeere
|Name in Other Languages
Upper Sorbian: slowčinowa aronija;
Ukrainian: горобина чорноплідна;
Welsh: aeron tagu;
|Plant Growth Habit
||Height: 4-8 feet
||Perennial, 40-60 years in wild
||Glossy, alternate, elliptic-obovate, dark green; Length: 1-3 inches; Width: ¾-2 inches
||Hermaphrodite, showy, five, white petals
|Fruit shape & size
||Diameter: 1/3-1/2 inch, pea sized
||Black, purple or red, glossy
||Dry, sour, sharp
||1-5 seeds, small, deep purple
||Late August-Mid September
||Manganese, Mn 0.65 mg (28.26%)
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 21 mg (23.33%)
Total dietary Fiber 5.3 g (13.95%)
Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) 1.17 mg (7.80%)
Iron, Fe 0.62 mg (7.75%)
Carbohydrate 9.6 g (7.38%)
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 25 mcg (6.25%)
Zinc, Zn 0.53 mg (4.82%)
Magnesium, Mg 20 mg (4.76%)
Potassium, K 162 mg (3.45%)
- Lose weight
- Assist digestion
- Antioxidant properties
- Prevents cancer
- Cognitive ailments
- Eye ailments
- Skin ailments
- Heart health and blood pressure
- Antibacterial properties
- Prevents diabetes
|Calories in 100 gm
- Ariona berries assist in blood circulation.
- It purifies blood, lower blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
- It is helpful for vein inflammation and atherosclerosis.
- It promotes the function of endocrine glands and regulates the hormone secretion.
- It assists in the digestion.
- The berries help to lower stomach pain, inflammation and also treats gastritis and stomach ulcer.
- It enhances the liver function, bile secretion and eliminates toxins from liver.
- It aids inflammation, liver problems, gallbladder inflammation, jaundice and bile stones.
- Aronia berries helps to strengthen immunity and infections.
- It is helpful for anemia.
- It may crystallize as oxalate stones in urinary tract.
- The patients of oxalate urinary tract stones should not consume excessively.
- Oxalic acid interferes with magnesium and calcium absorption.
- The excessive consumption results to gastrointestinal discomfort.
- The pregnant and breast feeding women should not consume Ariona berries.
|How to Eat
- The ripe fruits are consumed fresh.
- It is used to make jelly.
- The fruits are added to culinary uses.
- It is also used to make juice, compote, wine and pickles.
- In Europe, it is used to make alcoholic beverages and used as a food colorant.
- The berries can be canned, made candies, jelly, pie, sorbet, yogurt and flavored milk.
- It is also used as tea, food coloring, syrup and coloring for fruit spread.
- The juice is blended with apple juice to enhance a blush.
- The apple juices and aronia berries are fermented to make red wine.
- Aronia juice is used to make dessert wines.
- The berries are used as toppings for fruit salads and ice cream.
- They are also used in cakes, tarts, juice, muffins and pies.
- The dried berries are added to the preparations of baby food.
- The berries are added to smoothies.
- The syrup of berries is used in many cuisines.
- It is brewed as an herbal tea.