- Yield: 12
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- 9 oz (260 g) gluten-free plain flour mix, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 4 oz (120 g) unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
- 6 fl oz (180 ml) buttermilk, plus extra as needed
- butter, softened, to serve
- gluten-free blackcurrant jam, to serve
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5. Grease and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the flour mix, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and xanthan gum in a large mixing bowl. Stir briefly to mix.
- Add the butter and rub into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Add the buttermilk and mix until a rough, clumpy dough forms; add more buttermilk as needed if it's too dry.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Roll out to approximately 1 cm (½in) thick and cut out 5 cm (2 in) wide rounds of dough using a round cookie cutter.
- Lift the dough rounds onto the baking tray and space them apart. Bake for about 15-18 minutes until golden-brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with butter and blackcurrant jam.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.