The allure of this recipe is the embedded cheese, along with the rich flavor imparted by chicken or vegetable broth. In fact, this crust can be eaten without any toppings as a delicious herbed cheese crisp, but it’s even better with your favorite pizza toppings. (For topping ideas, see Other Pizza and Focaccia Toppings). Be sure to have about 1 tablespoon olive oil on hand for dipping your fingers prior to shaping your pizza crust.
- Yield: 12 inch pizza crust
- 1 cup (4 oz / 113 g) sunflower seed flour
- ½ cup (2 oz / 57 g) soy flour, garbanzo bean flour, or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup (1 oz / 28 g) shredded or grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 egg whites (2.5 oz / 71 g)
- ½ cup (4 oz / 113 g) low-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Brush the surface of a 12-inch round pizza pan with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sunflower seed flour, soy flour, baking powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme and whisk until well mixed. Stir in the cheeses and stir the mixture to distribute the cheese. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg whites and broth together until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture and stir with a large spoon for 1 to 2 minutes to make a thick, sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to the center of the prepared pan. Using oiled fingers, press it out to evenly fill the pan, making the edges slightly thicker if you like. Prick the surface every 1 to 2 inches to help prevent bubbles and air pockets during baking. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch, with blisters of melted cheese all over.
- You can immediately top the crust with your favorite toppings or top it later. To bake the topped pizza, preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until any cheese has melted or until the toppings are heated through and cooked to your liking. Slice and serve immediately.