- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
For the Cake
For the Topping
How to Make It
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 23 cm (9 in) spring form tin with grease proof paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the ground almonds, polenta, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, then beat into the butter and sugar, in thirds, beating in an egg after each addition. Beat in the orange juice and zest, then scrape the batter into the prepared tin, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until risen and golden and a cake tester comes out clean from its centre. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- For the topping, combine the water and sugar in a saucepan set over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Add the rhubarb, stir once, then simmer until the rhubarb is very tender to the tip of a knife, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the heat and let cool to one side.
- Once the cake is cool, puncture all over with a cake tester. Spoon the poached rhubarb on top, along with some of the poaching syrup.
- Lightly toast the almonds in a dry frying pan set over a medium heat until hot. Tip out of the pan onto a plate and let cool.
- Once cool, scatter over the rhubarb along with the granulated sugar. Carefully turn the cake out of its tin and cut into slices before serving.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.