These cookies have enough cocoa to satisfy even the most serious chocolate craving. Dutch-process cocoa powder yields darker cookies than standard cocoa powder, but either way, these cookies will be excellent. Serving them with a glass of cold milk is highly recommended! Or, for a highly indulgent treat, serve them warm, right out of the oven, with sugar-free ice cream, garnished with a bit of Sugar-Free Whipped Cream or nondairy topping or whatever embellishments you desire to create an instant chocolate cookie sundae. A final possibility is dusting the cookies with powdered erythritol for a sweet, snowy topping. For instructions on doing so, see the variation for Lemon Drops.
- Yield: 24 cookies
- 2 cups (8 oz / 227 g) pecan flour
- 1 cup (4 oz / 113 g) almond flour
- 2 cups Splenda or Stevia Extract in the Raw, or 1 cup New Roots Stevia Sugar
- ¾ cup (2.25 oz / 64 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, natural or Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1.75 oz / 50 g) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 eggs (5.25 oz / 149 g)
- ¼ cup (2 oz / 57 g) salted butter or margarine, melted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon liquid stevia
- Position 2 oven racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Mist 2 baking sheets with spray oil, or line them with parchment paper or silicone mats and then mist the surfaces with spray oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pecan flour, almond flour, Splenda, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and whisk until well mixed. Stir in the pecans. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, vanilla, and liquid stevia together until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture and stir with a large spoon for about 2 minutes to make a thick, sticky batter.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared pans, using about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough per cookie and spacing them about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the pans and switch racks and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are firm to the touch and crispy.
- Immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.