- Yield: 10 Inch Pizza
For the topping
For the crust
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon oat or buckwheat flour, or other flour of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon neutral coconut oil, divided, plus more for oiling your hands
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and place the eggplant and pepper slices on it. Drizzle vegetables with 1 tablespoon of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and mix with your hands to coat. Roast for 20 minutes. Flip, arrange garlic cloves in between vegetable slices, and roast for another 15 minutes. Peel the roasted garlic and place into a small bowl. Mash with a fork, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, a small pinch of salt, and a couple grinds of black pepper and mix thoroughly. Set aside. Slice pepper into a thinner strips, if desired.
- To make the crust and bake the pizza Bake, steam, or boil sweet potato until soft. Mash and measure out 1 cup, reserving any excess for another dish. Combine sweet potato purée, minced garlic, salt, pepper, flour, baking powder, apple cider vinegar, and ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a food processor. Mix to combine, scraping the walls of the bowl if needed, forming a soft and sticky dough.
- Coat the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. Spread the dough over the bottom of the pan, in an even layer, using a wet spoon and oiled hands. Push some of the dough slightly up the sides of the pan to create a rim. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned. Remove the skillet from the oven. (Handle will be hot!) Spread garlic mash over the crust with a fork. Arrange eggplant and pepper slices on top of the crust and sprinkle with sweet paprika. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and slide the pizza onto a cutting board. Slice and serve topped with Carrot-Top Chimichurri.