In Italy, this warm, garlicky dip is traditionally served with raw vegetables, such as baby carrots and radishes, but it is also good with simply steamed, sprouting broccoli.
- Yield: 4 Servings about 5 fl oz (150 ml) dipping sauce
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 lb 2 oz (500 g) purple or young green broccoli spears, trimmed
- 4 oil-packed anchovies, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Steam the broccoli for no more than 5 minutes, until it is al dente.
- Put the anchovies into a mortar and pestle, and grind them to a paste. Put them in a small saucepan along with the garlic and oil, and heat gently for 2 minutes until the garlic is lightly colored, but not brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and use a wire whisk to add the cold butter in small pieces, beating well between each addition.
- Add the lemon juice and continue to whisk until the mixture emulsifies slightly. Check the seasoning and add freshly ground black pepper, and a little salt, if necessary. Serve the dipping sauce warm with the broccoli.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.