We hear about the benefits of height-adjustable desks a lot. Indeed, if you can change from a sitting to a standing position from time to time during a long working day, it is already good. However, a height-adjustable desk, if used correctly, can help you to prevent or reduce the manifestation of the following health issues:
- Pains in the back and neck;
- Migraines and headaches;
- Cardiovascular diseases
While the list is already long, it can be complemented by many more sitting-related health issues. However, if you use an advanced desk with a top-quality height adjustable desk frame, you have an opportunity to prevent most of these issues with health.
How to Fight Pains in the Back and Neck
When you are sitting, your back and neck cannot take their natural position. They get stuck in a bent position for hours. Therefore, there is nothing surprising that a person might suffer from severe pains in the back and neck.
If you have a chance to get up and work in a standing position, your back and neck stretch. The muscles and joints relax. The pains either diminish or disappear.
You do not need to stand constantly though. Interchange the positions to feel comfortable and avoid excessive tiredness.
Headaches Will Go
The most frequent cause of headaches is poor blood circulation. It is again caused by the wrong position of the back and neck. Once your back and neck take their natural position, the blood starts running freely, the brain gets enough oxygen, and the headaches go.
Fatigue Will Be Eliminated
Once constant bothering pains go, your general condition will improve. You will feel less tired, and the productivity levels during a working day will increase. Thus, you will be able to perform daily tasks faster and get more free time for some rest or hobbies.
Obesity Will not Threaten You Anymore
If you work in an office, you are at higher risk to gain weight. Obesity is one of the most frequent issues of office workers. If you work at a height-adjustable desk, you can exercise to avoid gaining weight.
You might argue that basic exercises can be done does not matter where you work. However, many people feel uncomfortable exercising in front of their colleagues. A standing desk allows doing it in a way that nobody sees.
Another benefit is that while standing, you still burn more calories than when you are sitting. Though we do not recommend counting on it. The best way to avoid excessive weight gain is to exercise.
Obesity and lack of movement in turn can cause more serious health conditions such as heart attack and other diseases of the cardiovascular system, diabetes, and even cancer.
Use Your Height-Adjustable Desk Properly
Do not expect though that all your problems will be eliminated just because you have purchased an advanced furniture piece. You must make some effort to achieve the result you want. We understand that you might feel uncomfortable exercising in front of your colleagues. The main benefit of a height-adjustable table is that it allows you to do exercises without being noticed by others. Here are some of the simplest exercises:
- Raising on your toes. You can repeat the exercise as many times as you feel comfortable. The main idea is not to do it excessively, there shall be no pain or discomfort.
- Leg extensions: in a standing position, extend your leg behind you. Keep your back straight. Repeat 10-15 times.
- Stretching chest: clasp your hands behind your back. Stretch them.
When you get more confident (with time, you will. Moreover, your colleagues might notice the effect and want to join you, too), you can move to more complex exercises:
- Chair dips: sit on the chair edge. Place your hands behind you on the chair. Now, by holding with hands onto the chair edge, lower your body as close to the floor as you can. All body parts are firm, just your hands and arms are moving. Now, move back to the chair. Repeat a couple of times.
- Push up: this is one of the most standard exercises. It is very easy and comfortable to do with a standing desk. You hold onto the desk edge. The height can be adjusted.
Setup Your Desk Properly
One more crucial thing to consider is the adjustment of your desk. To work conveniently, you need to adjust everything properly. Here are the basic rules to follow:
- The screen shall be located at the distance of 20-22 inches from your eyes, at a 20 degrees tilt from the desk base. The computer monitor is directly in front of your eyes;
- The wrists are resting in a neutral position;
- The arms are at the 90-degree angle from the desk;
- The knees are slightly bent so you can shift your weight from one leg to the other.
This setup will help you to use your height-adjustable desk the most beneficially for your health. Do not forget that standing all the time will cause excessive tiredness feeling and will cause issues, too. Thus, one of the main keys to success is also in the correct balancing of sitting and standing. Interchange the positions once you feel that you are getting too tired. If you forget to do so, set up an alarm to remind you.
A standing desk is not an invention. It was invented long ago but only now, when we spend increasingly more time at a desk, we can indeed appreciate all its benefits. While some discussions about the benefits to health of this furniture piece are still running, one we can tell for sure: a height-adjustable desk is better than a traditional one.
Of course, it will not treat from already existing medical conditions such as scoliosis, for example. In such a case, it is recommended to consult a specialist and to get proper treatment. But a height-adjustable desk can help to prevent them and thus, to improve your life quality and work efficiency incredibly.