|Corn silk Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Zea mays|
|Origin||Native to America. It is grown as green fodder or cereal crop all over the world.|
|Health benefits||Aid urinary tract infections, Diuretic activity, Prevent kidney stones, Blood clot, Reduce blood pressure|
Health benefits of Corn silk
Cornsilk are found on the stigmas of female corn plant. It has been used as a cure for various health ailments. It is rich in nutrients such as Vitamin K that is helpful for urinary tract.
- Aid urinary tract infections
Corn silk possesses anti-inflammatory properties that is helpful for urinary tract infections by coating urinary tract lining and also provides relief from irritation. The intake of Corn silk tea helps to soothe urinary tract and inflamed bladder. It lowers the chances of build up of bacteria in urinary tract and also soothes irritated prostate gland.
- Diuretic activity
Corn silk tea is used for its diuretic activities that flush out excess presence of waste and water from the body. It lowers the health problems that are associated with water retention. The use of diuretics prevents the chances of kidney diseases and congestive heart failure.
- Prevent kidney stones
Kidney stones cause annoyance and pain due to the formation of small crystallized deposits. Since ancient days, it is used for the prevention of kidney stones. It increases the flow of urine and lowers the chances of formation of sediment in kidneys. But it does not treat the already presence of kidney stones.
- Blood clot
Corn silk possesses vitamin K that plays a vital role in the process of blood clotting. It prevents the chances of excessive blood loss in an injury.
- Reduce blood pressure
High blood pressure or hypertension has become a common health problem in these present days. Corn silk tea could be consumed to lower high blood pressure.
- Lowers blood sugar levels
An intake of Corn silk tea is useful for treating the blood sugar problems. The study shows that the application of Corn silk lowers the level of blood sugar. The high level of blood sugar results in health ailments such as kidney problems, stroke and diabetes. The other study found that the intake of corn silk tea assist insulin generation in body.
- Treats inflammation
Corn silk possesses anti-inflammatory properties which help to lower pain that are caused due to inflammatory health problems such as arthritis and gout. Corn silk has diuretic properties that prevent the excess formation of uric acid in the body joints that could result in gout pain. It is not an aid for conditions related to arthritis.
- Maintains cholesterol levels
The presence of cholesterol in the bloodstream is the cause for various ailments such as cardiac problems. The low presence of cholesterol level helps the human to avoid heart problems and remain healthy. The study conducted in China by Jilin University scientists helps to lower cholesterol.
- Enhance immunity
Corn silk has vitamin C that enhances immunity that helps to regulate myriad functions in human body.
- Treat obesity
Obesity has become a major problem nowadays. Obesity is caused due to put on of excess weight that leads to excess water retention as well as toxic accumulation in the human body. It assists the people by lowering the chances of weight gain as it eliminates excess waste and water from the body. The tea could be consumed twice or thrice in a day to receive health benefits.
- It is useful for bladder irritation as well as bed wetting.
- It is used to prevent incontinence.
- Topically apply corn silk tea to treat skin problems such as rashes and boils.
- It provides relief from itching and pain caused due to wounds.
- Corn silk tea helps to lower oxidative stress and prevents the onset of cancer.
- An intake of two cups of Corn silk tea for several weeks helps to cure urethritis, cystitis and prostatitis.
- It causes allergic reactions such as urticarial and contact dermatitis.
- Pregnant women and people with medications should consult the doctor before using.
- It is not palatable to consume corn silk directly.
- Corn silk could lower the level of potassium in blood which could result in allergies and skin problems.
- Breast feeding mothers should consume it in moderate amounts.
- Do not use by the people who are allergic to corn.
- Not to be used along with blood thinning medications.
- Diabetic people should not use it because it interferes with the level of blood sugar.
- Red skin, rash and itchiness are its side effects.
How to Eat
- The organic or fresh corn silk is used to make Corn silk tea.
- It could be found in the form of powder or capsules.
- It could be dried.
Corn silk tea
- Fresh or dry corn silk
- Lemon juice
- Boil water for some time.
- Put fresh or dried silk when the water starts boiling.
- Let it remain boiling for minutes. Then it turns to brown hued caramel like liquid.
- Then strain and serve it cold or warm.
- Lemon juice could be added to enhance the flavor.
- The remaining tea could be kept in refrigerator for few days.
Corn silk summer sun tea
- Four tablespoons of chopped fresh Corn silk
- Four cups of water
- In a half gallon Mason jar, put water and herbs for half a day in the sun.
- Then strain the herbs.
- According to taste, add lime, lemon and honey.
- Then serve chilled.