|Long jack Quick Facts|
|Scientific Name:||Eurycoma longifolia|
|Origin||Native to Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.|
|Colors||Brownish red (Fruit)|
|Shapes||Mericarps, bicarinate, ovoid; Length: 1-2 cm; Broad: 0.5-1 cm (Fruit)|
|Health benefits||Assist in losing weight, Provides energy, Supports libido, Bone health, Assist mood|
|More facts about Long jack|
It is indigenous to Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. It is primarily planted in Malaysia due to its medicinal properties for the conservation of wild plants. It is also locally known as Tongkat Ali which means “Ali’s walking stick”. In Malaysia, it is known as Malaysian ginseng which is also noticed as an adaptogen, an herb which helps to combat stress, disease and also enhance physical strength without any side effects.
Today, this plant is high in demand and has uncontrolled use of this resource. Eurycoma longifolia is regarded as a protected species. The high demand for this product has led the Malaysia’s government to go as far as limited patents for this herb.
Long jack is slender and evergreen shrub which is 10 m tall. The leaves are pinnate, green; 20-40 cm long with ovate to lanceolate leaflets. The tiny reddish flowers are unisexual and arranged densely. Later the flower turns into mericarps, bicarinate, ovoid fruit which is 1-2 cm long and 0.5-1 cm broad. The fruit is yellowish brown when young and becomes brownish red when ripened.
Health Benefits of Long jack
In Traditional medicine, it is used to combat various health issues. It is used to enhance the healthy libido and maintain the hormone level. It helps to treat fever, ulcers, malaria, high blood pressure, bone pain, tuberculosis, cough, headache, diarrhea, syphilis and cancer. Long jack helps to counteract the cancer cells such as breast cancer and lung cancer cells. It raises the level of testosterone in men.
- Assist in losing weight
Hormones command metabolism and its imbalance results to the weight gain. It is considered that fatigue and weight gain has become a part of ageing. The reason for weight gain is due to the exposure to the environmental toxins disordering with the hormonal equilibrium. Long jack helps to stabilize hormones which assist in the reduction of weight and is applicable to both females and males.
- Provides energy
The low level of energy is caused due to the inadequate production of hormones. Long jack helps to balance the hormones as it has positive effect on balancing metabolism and energy. The increase in energy assists endurance during exercise which is associated to the maintenance and weight loss.
- Supports libido
Testosterone helps to raise the sexual desire and flame. Long jack helps to raise the sensitivity of woman’s erogenous zones by raising the libido enhancing qualities. The research shows that this herb enhance libido in the male rats. The researchers consider that the effects can be replicated in the females also.
- Bone health
The low level of testosterone increases the risk of osteoporosis which is a debilitating disease caused due to the fragile and weak bones. Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium plays a vital role in the maintenance of hormonal balance and bone health. Long jack stimulates the testosterone serum concentration. It is considered that this herb is used to improve and maintain the bone health.
- Assist mood
The research shows that Long jack helps to decrease the cortisol which is the main stress hormone. In reaction to the stress cortisol is produced and is the vital contributor to the weight gain associated with stress. Long jack helps to reduce anger, tension and confusion. The herb helps to lower the stress related with sleep loss, diet and exercise. The supplements of Long jack help to enhance memory.
- Promotes blood sugar
Type II diabetes could be prevented with the maintenance of adequate level of blood sugar through exercise and diet. The research shows that Long jack also assist in maintaining the blood sugar level. The blood sugar level could be maintained by increasing exercise, reducing carbohydrates, sound sleep and exposure to sunlight.
- The plant possesses antimalarial, antidiabetic, aphrodisiac, antipyretic and antimicrobial properties.
- Long jack is commonly used as an aid to enhance the sexual prowess, male libido and fertility.
- Traditionally, it is used as an aphrodisiac agent and improves the general health.
- It is also used to treat aches, malaria, persistent fever, glandular swelling, dysentery, oedema, bleeding, hypertension, ulcers and syphilitic sores.
- Long jack is used in Malay traditional medicine to treat the conditions such as osteoporotic fracture.
- The inhabitants of Kalimantan and Sumatra use the roots as an antipyretic activity.
- It is used to treat dysentery in Belitung and Lampung.
- In Indonesia, Long jack is used to prepare jamu.
- In Sumatra, the plant is used to prevent the smallpox virus.
- The roots are used in Thailand and Peninsular Malaysia to cure mouth ulcers, fever and intestinal worms.
- In Thai traditional medicine, it is used as an aphrodisiac, tonic, antimalarial and anticancer agent.
- In Vietnam, the decoction of roots is used to treat rheumatism.
- In Vietnam, fruits and flowers are used to treat dysentery.
- The bark and root of Long jack is used to treat erectile dysfunction, male infertility, increase interest in sex, body building, boost athletic performance, and reduce body fat.
- Long jack is used to treat fever, high blood pressure, malaria, bone pain, ulcers, tuberculosis, diarrhea, cough, syphilis, headache, and cancer.
- The leaves decoction of Long jack is used to wash itches.
- The bark is used as a vermifuge and taproots are used to cure high blood pressure.
- The root extract of Long jack is used in folk medicine as a cure for sexual dysfunction, malaria, aging, diabetes, cancer, anxiety, aches, exercise recovery, constipation, increase energy, fever, leukemia, increase strength, syphilis, osteoporosis, stress and glandular swelling.
- Long jack is used as a treatment for indigestion and lumbago.
- It is used as a tonic after the delivery.
- The roots help to restoring vitality and energy and enhance blood flow.
- The leaves helps to treat cure ulcers, malaria, gonorrhea and syphilis, prevent gum diseases and provide relief from insect bites.
- In Vietnam, the fruits and flower is used to treat dysentery and roots are used to cure fever and malaria.
- The roots are used as the health supplement and appetite stimulant.
- In Kalimantan, the Banjarese men the root decoction is used as an aphrodisiac.
- In peninsular Thailand, the root is used as an aid for malaria.
- In Cambodia, the root is used as an antidote for intoxication.
- The high doses of Long jack stimulate vomiting.
- It is used as a tonic.
- The fruit, flowers and roots is used to treat dysentery.
- The pregnant and breast feeding women should not use Long jack.
- The most common side effects is a hot headiness with the facial flushing.
- Some people might experience mild fevers, light headache and rash.
- One should slowly introduce Long Jack to the diet in order to increase tolerance.
- Those who are allergic to Long jack should avoid its use.
- It could reduce the level of blood sugar.
- It may also reduce the blood pressure.
- The people with weak immune systems should be cautious to use Long jack.
- One should be cautious while taking with propranolol.
- Those who have breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease or sleep apnea should avoid Long jack.
- The children should not use Long jack.
- It may cause restlessness, anxiety and sleep problems.
How to Eat
- In Malaysia, the root and trunk base is used as drink and food additive.
- It is used as an ingredient for functional beverage and coffee as the energy drinks.
- The traditional users use the dried chips of root to brew tea.
- In Malaysia, candies and coffees possess Long jack.