- Yield: 4 Servings
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/225°F/Gas Mark ¼ (or its lowest setting). Line a heatproof plate with kitchen paper.
- Working in small batches, put the grated potatoes on a tea towel, fold over the tea towel and squeeze to extract as much water as possible.
- Put the potatoes in a large bowl and add the onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, the salt, and pepper to taste. Mix together well.
- Heat a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium–high heat. Add half the oil and heat until hot. Drop 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and flatten slightly. Add as many more pancakes as will fit without overcrowding the pan. Fry for 2 minutes, or until crisp and golden underneath. Flip or turn with a palette knife and continue frying for a further 1–2 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Repeat using the remaining mixture and oil. Meanwhile, transfer the cooked pancakes to the prepared plate and keep warm in the oven.
- Serve the pancakes hot, topped with the soured cream and smoked salmon. Garnish with chives.